Recipe: Marinated chicken with mango relish
Relish (to make a big batch)
- vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced, seeds removed
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 170g (6oz) demerara sugar
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 4 fairly ripe, but firm mangoes, peeled and diced
- 4 mango stones
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp syrup from jar of stem ginger
- 4 pitta breads
- little gem lettuce
- Heat a little oil in a shallow, thick-base pan. Add the diced onion and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the red pepper, white wine vinegar and the demerara sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the relish has thickened slightly.
- Add all the spices, the mangoes and the mango stones and mix well. Simmer for 45 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Discard the mango stones.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally into thin, flat portions.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the chicken, making sure all the portions are evenly coated.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a griddle pan.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Fry the pitta breads on the griddle pan for 5 minutes on each side.
- Slice open the pitta breads.
- Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces and stuff into the pitta bread.
- Add the chicken and drizzle some mango relish over it.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 26th June 2006
Last updated on: Thursday, 28th September 2006
- Body text - Copyrighted: The Open University
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.