Relish (to make a big batch)
- vegetable oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, diced, seeds removed
- 150ml (5fl oz) white wine vinegar
- 170g (6oz) demerara sugar
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp ground coriander
- ¼ tsp chilli powder
- 4 fairly ripe, but firm mangoes, peeled and diced
- 4 mango stones
- 4 chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tbsp syrup from jar of stem ginger
- 4 pitta breads
- little gem lettuce
- Heat a little oil in a shallow, thick-base pan. Add the diced onion and fry until lightly browned.
- Add the red pepper, white wine vinegar and the demerara sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until the relish has thickened slightly.
- Add all the spices, the mangoes and the mango stones and mix well. Simmer for 45 minutes until most of the moisture has evaporated and the mixture has a thick consistency.
- Discard the mango stones.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally into thin, flat portions.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl. Add the chicken, making sure all the portions are evenly coated.
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a griddle pan.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Fry the pitta breads on the griddle pan for 5 minutes on each side.
- Slice open the pitta breads.
- Tear the lettuce into bite size pieces and stuff into the pitta bread.
- Add the chicken and drizzle some mango relish over it.