- 2 potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2.5 litres (4 pints) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 bag/bunch rocket
- 1 jar roasted red peppers, cut into strips
- In a bowl mix together the onions and potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, or use a deep-fat fryer. (If you have a cooking thermometer, check that the oil is heated to 120°C/248°F.)
- Put the potatoes and onions in a frying basket and cook them in the oil for approximately 3-4 minutes until soft, but don’t brown them. There must be absolutely no colouring at all.
- Drain the onions and potatoes on kitchen paper and place them in a bowl.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl, and pour them over the hot potatoes and onions. Very carefully turn the mixture with a wooden spoon and season with plenty of salt and pepper.
- Place a non-stick pan (about 20 cm across) on a medium heat and warm a little vegetable oil. Carefully pour the mixture in and immediately start pushing the edges against the side of the pan so that the outside edge of the omelette is in good contact with the pan.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes until golden brown. Then put a large dinner plate on top of the pan and flip it over so that the omelette is on the plate. Slide the omelette back into the pan and cook the other side for another 3–4 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm rather than hot, with roasted peppers and rocket salad.