OU on the BBC: The Things We Forgot To Remember - The Battle of Trafalgar
We all know that Nelson won at Trafalgar in 1805. But who lost? The battle didn’t keep the French from invading: Napoleon had already given up waiting at Boulogne and gone off to beat the Austrians. Nor did it end French world power: France bounced back after 1815, carving out a new empire in Africa and the Far East, and the French navy was enough to give the British Admiralty some sleepless nights for the rest of the century. The real loser was Spain, the other bit of the Combined Fleet. The Spanish Empire still dominated the Caribbean in the 18th Century and ruled all of South and Central America.
Trafalgar was a crushing blow for Spanish naval power, and the subsequent unchallenged British sea power negated that of Spain utterly. Not only that, but when Spain’s American possessions erupted into revolt, many key roles were played by British mercenaries – veterans of the Napoleonic wars. Spain, with no navy worth speaking of, could not intervene effectively.
The Spanish asked for support at the international Congress of Verona in 1822, only to be snubbed by the British, the naval superpower. Canning could ‘call the new world in’ only because of what Nelson had done 17 years before at Trafalgar.
First broadcast: Monday 16 May 2005 on BBC Radio 4
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 29th October 2007
Last updated on: Friday, 7th December 2007
- Body text - Copyright: The Open University
- Image 'Nelson at Trafalgar' - Copyrighted: photos.com
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages by The OpenLearn team
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Body & Mind
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - What's On
- Latest pages tagged England
- Latest pages tagged France
- Latest pages tagged Battle Of Trafalgar
- Latest pages tagged 19th Century
- Latest pages tagged Spain
- Latest pages tagged Battles
- Latest pages tagged Michael Portillo
- Latest pages tagged Navy
- Latest pages tagged Armada
- Latest pages tagged Horatio Nelson
- Latest pages tagged Napoleon Bonaparte
- Latest pages tagged The Things We Forgot To Remember
- Latest comments on this page