The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
More or Less: Waitrose, EU Ref, Antiques Roadshow and Computer Science and SocksSunday, 31st July 2016 20:00 - BBC Radio 4Tim Harford and his team investigate EU Referendum, Desk of Good News, tribute to Trumpton and Antiques Roadshow. Read more: More or Less: Waitrose, EU Ref, Antiques Roadshow and Computer Science and Socks
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 28th August 2016 01:4521 year old Alaigie is preparing to leave Gambia to travel “the back way” 6000 kilometres to Italy to find work. Read more: Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3
Managing virtual project teamsMany projects are now ‘virtual’, i.e. some or all of the team are located remotely and may be... Try: Managing virtual project teams now
An introduction to music theoryGain an understanding of the basic building blocks of musical theory and notation. This free... Try: An introduction to music theory now
School governors need the skills to develop working relationships with the school community. This free course, School Governors: Building relationships, will help you to understand what each stakeholder within the community needs, from headteacher to pupils and parents. Effective interaction between all parties can prevent problems from arising.
This unit will help you, as a school governor, to:
- explore the relationship between the full governing body and the headteacher, as the school's senior professional;
- understand the need for building sound working relationships across the whole school;
- develop your confidence in supporting your school while, at the same time, providing an element of challenge;
- consider how the governing body works with other stakeholders, particularly in relation to pupils and parents.
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
School Governors: building relationships
School governors need the skills to develop working relationships with the school community. This unit will help you to understand what each stakeholder within the community needs, from headteacher to pupils and parents. Effective interaction between all parties can prevent problems from arising.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Educational Practice courses or view the range of currently available OU Educational Practice courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 27th July 2011
Last updated on: Friday, 12th October 2012
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.