from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Key skill assessment unit: Working with others
Working effectively with other people in a group or a team is a skill valued highly by...
Working effectively with other people in a group or a team is a skill valued highly by community and educational organisations, as well as employers. Working in a group is about communicating effectively, contributing ideas, listening and receiving feedback, and leading or following as appropriate. Developing your skills means thinking about and planning the tasks the group needs to do, negotiating with others to develop shared goals and purpose, collaborating to achieve agreed results and then reviewing the approach. In developing and assessing the key skill of working with others you will learn to use and adapt your skills confidently and effectively in different situations and contexts. This unit is designed to be studied for 1 hour per week over 50 weeks.
Having studied this unit you should be able to:
- develop a strategy for using skills in Working with others over an extended period of time;
- monitor your progress and adapt your strategy as necessary, to achieve the quality of outcomes required when working with others;
- evaluate your overall strategy and present the outcomes from your work using a variety of methods.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 About working with others
- 2 Sources of help
- 3 Key skills assessment units
- 4 Structure of the assessment units
- 5 Becoming an effective team member
- 6 What you should present
- 7 Part A: Evidencing skills to develop a strategy, monitor progress and evaluate performance
- 8 Part B: Evidencing your teamworking skills
- 9 Notes to help you complete your portfolio
Key skills assessment unit: Working with others
This key skill focuses on developing your skills in Working with others and applying these skills in your studies, work or other activities over a period of time. To tackle all of this key skill you will need to plan your work over at least 3–4 months to give yourself enough time to practise and improve your skills, to seek feedback from others, and to monitor and evaluate your performance.
A main purpose of this key skill is to guide you through the management of a group activity culminating in a group presentation of the outcomes of the work. It involves you in actively contributing to the presentation of information.
You will need to identify opportunities for developing your skills in Working with others, for example, when:
managing and presenting outcomes of a group project;
contributing to community activities, such as organising a major event;
investigating and implementing ways to improve work practice.
This unit is designed to be studied for 1 hour per week over 50 weeks.
This unit is from our archive and it is an adapted extract from Key skills assessment unit: Working with others (U077) which is no longer in presentation. If you wish to study formally at The Open University, you may wish to explore the courses we offer in this.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Education course units or view the range of currently available OU Education courses.