The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the DeepTuesday, 31st May 2016 09:00 - EdenLife under the waves. Read more: Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the Deep
Life - with David Attenborough: PlantsTuesday, 31st May 2016 10:00 - Eden
Life - with David Attenborough: PrimatesTuesday, 31st May 2016 11:00 - Eden
Life - with David Attenborough: Creatures of the DeepTuesday, 31st May 2016 16:00 - Eden
The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did NextAvailable for over a yearFinland has one of the highest-performing education systems in the world, yet it is overhauling the way schools teach... Read more: The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did Next
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: Microbes in relation to mood; Depressed cake shop and Perils of perceptionAvailable until Wednesday, 31st May 2017 00:00
The Educators: Series 2: Character LessonsAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsAvailable for over a year
Life - with David AttenboroughDavid Attenborough explores the vibrant mix of life found on our plant - where it comes from, and... Read more: Life - with David Attenborough
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Una lengua en movimientoThis free course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the societies and cultures of... Try: Una lengua en movimiento now
English: skills for learningEnglish: skills for learning, is a free course for anybody who is thinking of studying for a... Try: English: skills for learning now
This work-based free course, Thinking about how I work with other professionals, encourages early years practitioners to think about the values and principles underpinning how they work with other professionals. It explores beliefs about teamwork, examines frameworks for professional communication and concludes with identifying possible changes in practice.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- examine practices in relation to working with other professionals in order to make the underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit
- use a variety of ‘tools’ to examine the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning a practice
- identify contradictions between an underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs and a practice
- identify any requirements for development of a practice and reconsider the underpinning values and beliefs in relation to any work with other professionals
- identify constraints within a setting that impact on the ways of working with other professionals.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Working with other professionals
- 2 Making your underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit
- 3 ‘Tools’ for examining the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning your practice
- 4 Identifying constraints in your setting and improving practice
- 5 Bringing the course together: translating your core values and beliefs into practice
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Thinking about how I work with other professionals
In this course you will be building on your previous study and experience of ‘working with others’. Using the notion of ‘teamwork’, you will be asked to think specifically about the values and beliefs underpinning the following three aspects of practice:
developing working relationships with other professionals;
sharing information and skills with other professionals;
working in cooperation with other professionals.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of Level 1 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Professional Development in Education courses or view the range of currently available OU Professional Development in Education courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 19th July 2011
Last updated on: Tuesday, 16th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.2 MB)
- PDF (2.8 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1 MB)
- Kindle (238 KB)
- RSS (93 KB)
- HTML (632 KB)
- SCORM (631 KB)
- OUXML Package (14 KB)
- OUXML File (41 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (185 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.