from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Met: Policing London: Episode FiveFriday, 31st July 2015 00:50 - BBC TwoIn the final episode of OU/BBC's The Met a new recruit learns his way around the London streets and Homicide... Read more: The Met: Policing London: Episode Five
Life: PrimatesFriday, 31st July 2015 11:00 - Eden
A History of Ideas: Writer Lisa Appignanesi on the Love of ChildrenFriday, 31st July 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
Life: PrimatesFriday, 31st July 2015 17:00 - Eden
A History of Ideas: Theologian Giles Fraser on AltruismAvailable until Wednesday, 27th July 2016 00:00Giles Fraser explains why our genes determine our concern for others. Read more: A History of Ideas: Theologian Giles Fraser on Altruism
Great Ormond Street Hospital: Fix my genesAvailable until Saturday, 15th August 2015 00:20
The Bank: LendingAvailable until Saturday, 8th August 2015 00:50
OU on the BBC- Wanted: A Very Personal Assistant: Episode OneAvailable until Thursday, 27th August 2015 02:30
Can we find the rest of MH370?It looks as if part of MH370, the lost Malaysian Airlines jet, has been found. Will this help us... Read more: Can we find the rest of MH370?
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Beginners’ Italian: food and drinkThis free course, Beginners’ Italian: food and drink, focuses on buying drinks and snacks in an... Try: Beginners’ Italian: food and drink now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Thinking about how I work with other professionals
This work-based unit encourages early years practitioners to think about the values and...
This work-based unit encourages early years practitioners to think about the values and principles underpinning how they work with other professionals. It explores beliefs about teamwork, examines frameworks for professional communication and concludes with identifying possible changes in practice.
By the end of this unit you should have:
- examined your own practice in relation to working with other professionals in order to make your underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit;
- used a variety of ‘tools’ to examine the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning your practice;
- identified contradictions between your underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs and your practice;
- seen where you might want to develop your practice and reconsider your underpinning values and beliefs in relation to how you work with other professionals;
- identified constraints within your setting that impact on the ways in which you work with other professionals.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Working with other professionals
- 2 Making your underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit
- 3 ‘Tools’ for examining the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning your practice
- 4 Identifying constraints in your setting and improving practice
- 5 Bringing the unit together: translating your core values and beliefs into practice
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
Thinking about how I work with other professionals
In this unit you will be building on your previous study and experience of ‘working with others’. Using the notion of ‘teamwork’, you will be asked to think specifically about the values and beliefs underpinning the following three aspects of practice:
developing working relationships with other professionals;
sharing information and skills with other professionals;
working in cooperation with other professionals.
This material is from our archive and is an adapted extract from Personal Professional Development: Early Years Settings (E115) which is no longer taught by The Open University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Professional Development in Education courses or view the range of currently available OU Professional Development in Education courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 19th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.