The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and HuntedFriday, 27th May 2016 11:30 - EdenEveryone's hungry. Everyone's lunch. Read more: Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and Hunted
Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and HuntedFriday, 27th May 2016 17:30 - Eden
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Friday, 27th May 2016 19:00 - BBC Two (Scotland only)
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsMonday, 30th May 2016 00:15 - BBC Radio 4
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 26th June 2016 20:00With only four weeks left at the Oxford Academy, we look to see how the old and young have learned from each other. Read more: Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsAvailable for over a year
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: Exams and the mental health of children, a community approach to suicide preventionAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed 2016: Glasgow gangs - Russian gangsAvailable for over a year
Life - with David AttenboroughDavid Attenborough explores the vibrant mix of life found on our plant - where it comes from, and... Read more: Life - with David Attenborough
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Una lengua en movimientoThis free course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the societies and cultures of... Try: Una lengua en movimiento now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This work-based free course, Thinking about how I work with other professionals, encourages early years practitioners to think about the values and principles underpinning how they work with other professionals. It explores beliefs about teamwork, examines frameworks for professional communication and concludes with identifying possible changes in practice.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- examine practices in relation to working with other professionals in order to make the underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit
- use a variety of ‘tools’ to examine the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning a practice
- identify contradictions between an underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs and a practice
- identify any requirements for development of a practice and reconsider the underpinning values and beliefs in relation to any work with other professionals
- identify constraints within a setting that impact on the ways of working with other professionals.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Working with other professionals
- 2 Making your underpinning knowledge, values and beliefs explicit
- 3 ‘Tools’ for examining the knowledge, values and beliefs underpinning your practice
- 4 Identifying constraints in your setting and improving practice
- 5 Bringing the course together: translating your core values and beliefs into practice
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Thinking about how I work with other professionals
In this course you will be building on your previous study and experience of ‘working with others’. Using the notion of ‘teamwork’, you will be asked to think specifically about the values and beliefs underpinning the following three aspects of practice:
developing working relationships with other professionals;
sharing information and skills with other professionals;
working in cooperation with other professionals.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of Level 1 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Professional Development in Education courses or view the range of currently available OU Professional Development in Education courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 19th July 2011
Last updated on: Tuesday, 16th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.2 MB)
- PDF (2.8 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1 MB)
- Kindle (238 KB)
- RSS (93 KB)
- HTML (632 KB)
- SCORM (631 KB)
- OUXML Package (14 KB)
- OUXML File (41 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (185 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.