My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Already Registered?Sign in
Using numbers and handling data
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Decimals
- 1 Decimals
- 1.1 Introducing the decimal system of numbers
- 1.2 Decimal points
- 1.3 Marking decimals on a scale
- 1.4 Decimal places
- 1.5 Rounding to decimal places
- 1.6 Multiplication and division by factors of ten
- 1.7 SI units and conversions
- 1.8 Adding and subtracting decimal numbers
- 1.9 Addition of decimal numbers
- 1.10 Subtraction of decimal numbers
- 1.11 Addition and subtraction in practice - fluid balance
- 2 Accuracy, precision and common errors
- 3 Handling data
- 3 Handling data
- 3.1 Graphs
- 3.2 The anatomy of a graph
- 3.3 Types of graphs and their uses
- 3.4 Bar graphs
- 3.5 Line graphs
- 3.6 Graphs with unusual scales - graphing exponentials
- 3.7 Descriptive statistics
- 3.8 Descriptive statistics
- Keep on learning
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your My OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Public Health courses or view the range of currently available OU Public Health courses.
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has over 40 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
12 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.