The Ancient Olympics: Bridging past and present Includes explicit content
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Historical influences
- 2 What are the Ancient Olympics?
- 3 The broader context: Other athletic festivals in Ancient Greece
- 4 Preparing for the games: Training body and mind
- 5 Day One: The opening ceremony (athletics and religion)
- 6 Day Two: The equestrian events and pentathlon
- 7 Day Three: Sacrifices (Hecatomb) and feast
- 8 Day Four: Running events and combat sports
- 9 Day Five: Honouring the victors
- 10 Conclusion
- 11. Quiz
- Keep on learning
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your My OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Download this course
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.