My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Course overview
- 2 Identifying and diagnosing autistic conditions
- 3 Mapping the autistic spectrum
- 4 Explaining autistic conditions: the socio-cognitive level
- 4.1 Do people with autistic spectrum disorders lack a theory of mind?
- 4.2 Developmental origins of theory of mind
- 4.3 A distinctive sub-group?
- 4.4 Theory of mind and self-awareness
- 4.5 Central coherence and cognitive style
- 4.6 Emotions, relatedness and the developmental process
- 4.7 The family context
- 4.8 Section summary
- 5 Explaining autistic conditions: the biological level
- 6 Helping people with autistic spectrum disorders
- 7 Conclusion
- Further reading
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
About this free course
20 hours study
Level 2: Intermediate
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Get the most out of OpenLearn
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn but creating an account lets you set up a personal learning profile which tracks your course progress and gives you access to Statements of Participation and digital badges you earn along the way. Sign-up now!
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
The autistic spectrum: From theory to practice
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Psychology courses or view the range of currently available OU Psychology courses.
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has over 40 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.