The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Wednesday, 28th September 2016 01:35 - BBC Two (except Scotland)Andrew Marr discovers why the Scotland he was born in has changed so much politically. Read more: Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Available until Friday, 28th October 2016 03:05Andrew Marr discovers why the Scotland he was born in has changed so much politically. Read more: Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1
Life Story: ParenthoodAvailable until Sunday, 30th October 2016 01:00
Life Story: CourtshipAvailable until Sunday, 23rd October 2016 01:25
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: What's left to explore?Available for over a year
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The lottery of birthThis free course, The lottery of birth, will look at both the big picture of the ‘lottery of... Try: The lottery of birth now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This free course, Death and medicine: Postponement and promise, asks the reader to consider the experience of grief and bereavement and in particular the extent to which grieving people need professional help. The course considers the evidence for the effects of grief and the extent to which current ways of responding are helpful.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- evaluate end-of-life care approaches in the UK and challenges to care delivery
- evaluate the usefulness of theoretical models of death, dying and bereavement
- recognise the relevance of critical social perspectives associated with death, dying and bereavement
- critically reflect on policy and practice in order to promote the interests of dying and bereaved people.
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Death and medicine: Postponement and promise
This course asks the reader to consider the experience of grief and bereavement and in particular the extent to which grieving people need professional help. The course considers the evidence for the effects of grief and the extent to which current ways of responding are helpful.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course :.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 12th February 2016
Last updated on: Friday, 12th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1015 KB)
- PDF (1.8 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (848 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (849 KB)
- Kindle (307 KB)
- RSS (62 KB)
- HTML (851 KB)
- SCORM (850 KB)
- OUXML Package (13 KB)
- OUXML File (32 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (412 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.