from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
- Friday 8:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, David Harewood on Othello
- Sunday 16:55, BBC One, Life Story: First Steps
- Sunday 17:00, Sky Arts 1 HD , David Harewood on Othello
- Monday 21:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, Christopher Plummer on King Lear
- Monday 23:20, BBC Two except Northern Ireland, Scotland, Trust Me, I'm A Doctor - Superfoods
Approaching prose fiction
Do you want to get more out of your reading? This unit is designed to develop the...
Do you want to get more out of your reading? This unit is designed to develop the analytical skills you need for a more in-depth study of literary texts. You will learn about narrative events and perspectives, the setting of novels, types of characterisation and genre.
By the end of this unit you should be able to:
- recognise and discuss selected library texts from the Renaissance to the present;
- know how to approach literary texts in terms of genre, gender and the canon;
- understand and be able to apply technical analytical terms;
- engage in close analysis of narrative and poetic language;
- recognise performance is an interpretation of dramatic texts;
- engage in comparative work and draw general conclusion;
- use textual evidence to argue a case;
- understand and use academic conventions: referencing and bibliography.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Literature course units or view the range of currently available OU Literature courses.