from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Approaching prose fiction
Do you want to get more out of your reading? This unit is designed to develop the...
Do you want to get more out of your reading? This unit is designed to develop the analytical skills you need for a more in-depth study of literary texts. You will learn about narrative events and perspectives, the setting of novels, types of characterisation and genre.
By the end of this unit you should be able to:
- recognise and discuss selected library texts from the Renaissance to the present;
- know how to approach literary texts in terms of genre, gender and the canon;
- understand and be able to apply technical analytical terms;
- engage in close analysis of narrative and poetic language;
- recognise performance is an interpretation of dramatic texts;
- engage in comparative work and draw general conclusion;
- use textual evidence to argue a case;
- understand and use academic conventions: referencing and bibliography.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Literature course units or view the range of currently available OU Literature courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 17th October 2013
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
Tags, Ratings and Social Bookmarking
- climate change (377)
- business (276)
- diaries (193)
- BBC Radio 4 (191)
- food (174)
- points for debate (170)
- bottom line (169)
- Rough Science (162)
- BBC Two (158)
- BBC (153)
- internet (148)
- listings (139)
- Scotland (121)
- Bang goes the Theory (119)
- children (117)
- English Civil War (115)
- Creative Climate (115)
- Thinking Allowed (112)
- recipes (112)
- astronomy (108)
- religion (99)
- sustainability (98)
- marketing (96)
- 20th century (94)
- communication (94)
- Charles I (93)
- evolution (90)
- research (86)
- architecture (86)
- The Bottom Line (85)