from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
What is good writing?
Does the idea of essay writing put you off the idea of studying? This unit will help...
Does the idea of essay writing put you off the idea of studying? This unit will help you to realise that essays are not to be feared. You will learn how important it is to answer the question that is set and that your style of writing is as communicative as possible.
By the end of this unit you should:
- be able to discuss why writing is so important;
- have an understanding of and be able to use critically the main criteria of good essay-writing;
- be aware of the basic technical and stylistic considerations involved in writing.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The importance of writing
- 2 What does an essay look like?
- 2.1 A lack of insight?
- 2.2 Looking at other people's essays
- 2.3 Analysing Philip's essay
- 2.4 Analysing Hansa's essay
- 2.5 Other aspects of writing
- 2.6 How good are Philip's and Hansa's essays?
- 3 What is a good essay?
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Dictionaries/companions to arts study
What is good writing?
When you write down an account of your ideas for other people to read, you have to explain yourself particularly carefully. You cannot make the mental leaps you do when you talk with others or think about things by yourself. This makes writing probably the most challenging aspect of studying. This unit will help you to develop the basic skills and confidence required for writing by explaining what is involved in good writing and why it is so important.
This unit is an adapted extract from the
The Open University is conducting a survey investigating how people use the free educational content on our OpenLearn website. The aim is to provide a better free learning experience for everyone. So if you’re a regular user of OpenLearn and have 10 minutes to spare, we’d be delighted if you could take part and tell us what you think. Please note this will take you out of OpenLearn, we suggest you open this in a new tab by right clicking on the link and choosing open in a new tab.