The Rest Is Noise
The soundtrack of the 20th Century—a year-long series of concerts and events...
The Open University has partnered with the Southbank Centre and the BBC on a new festival of music, running throughout 2013 at London's Southbank Centre venue.
Join us to explore how war, race, sex and politics shaped the most important music of the 20th century.
The Rest Is Noise is a year-long festival that digs deep into 20th-century history to reveal the influences on the composing and making of art in general and classical music in particular.
These concerts are supported by a range of talks and debates which discuss the wider historical, political and cultural contexts in which these works were composed.
You can also use the links below to find information on upcoming weekend events, as well as OpenLearn content on music and the 20th Century.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 20th November 2012
Last updated on: Tuesday, 15th January 2013
- Body text - Creative-Commons: The Open University
- Image '' - Copyright: Southbank Centre
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages by The OpenLearn team
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Events
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Music
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - What's On
- Latest pages tagged Avant-garde
- Latest pages tagged Classical Music
- Latest pages tagged 20th Century
- Latest pages tagged The Rest Is Noise
- Latest comments on this page