from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
- Monday 21:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
- Tuesday 2:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
- Tuesday 11:30, Sky Arts 1 HD, Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
- Wednesday 19:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
- Thursday 20:00, Sky Arts 1 HD, Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
The Roman Empire: Introducing some key terms
This unit will define basic concepts and terms that are essential for an understanding...
This unit will define basic concepts and terms that are essential for an understanding of the culture and identity of the Roman empire. Terms such as ‘Roman empire’ and ‘imperium’ will be introduced in the context of the formation and expansion of the empire, and the unit will provide you with the background for further study of the Roman empire.
After studying this unit you will have:
- developed your knowledge and understanding of the terminology associated with the culture, identity and power relevant to the Roman empire, as treated both in ancient sources and modern scholarship and presentation.
The Roman Empire: introducing some key terms
This unit introduces key terms that are essential for understanding the Classical Roman world.
This material is from our archive and is an adapted extract from Culture, identity and power in the Roman empire (AA309) which is no longer taught by The Open University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Social & Economic History course units or view the range of currently available OU Social & Economic History courses.