The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
City in The Sky: AirborneWednesday, 29th June 2016 02:45 - BBC TwoThe second episode of City in the Sky looks at how 100,000 flights stay airborne every day without colliding. Read more: City in The Sky: Airborne
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonWednesday, 29th June 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Thinking Allowed 2016: Good neighbours, The connection between sport and domestic abuseWednesday, 29th June 2016 16:00 - BBC Radio 4
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 1Thursday, 30th June 2016 01:05 - BBC Two (England only)
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonAvailable for over a yearClaudia Hammond presents the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in London
Martin Conway: Flashbulb memoryProfessor Martin Conway, Professor of Cognitive Psychology at City University London talks us... Listen now: Martin Conway: Flashbulb memory
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Can renewable energy power the world?Renewable energy sources are gaining an increasing share of world energy supplies. In the next... Try: Can renewable energy power the world? now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
Do you want to learn the basics of the German language? This free course, Rundblick: beginners' German, will take you on a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people. This OpenLearn course will give you the opportunity to develop language skills which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the singular forms of personal pronouns, singular forms of the regular verb kommen and generalisations using man
- use improved vocabulary and pronunciation related to place names, numbers 0–10, countries, finding out what is available when ordering and paying for things, ordering and paying for food
- understand the cultures of places and people in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, German-speaking minorities
- address people, imitate German pronunciation, and read for gist
- learned how to work out meanings from the contexts.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Talking about places and locations
- 2 Understanding information about countries and languages
- 3 Giving and understanding personal information
- 4 Ordering and paying for things
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Rundblick: beginners' German
This free course focuses on planning and preparing for a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people.
You will learn the names of things you need to remember when travelling and, most importantly, you will find out what it’s like to read and listen to German in real contexts, and about developing strategies and studying useful phrases, which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
You will also find out how to order and pay for things in cafes and restaurants.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 29th March 2016
Last updated on: Tuesday, 29th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - German
- Latest pages tagged - beginners
- Latest pages tagged - food and drink
- Latest pages tagged - German
- Latest pages tagged - German advanced
- Latest pages tagged - introducing oneself
- Latest pages tagged - Language
- Latest pages tagged - ordering food and drink
- Latest pages tagged - L193_1
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.8 MB)
- PDF (1.3 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (17.3 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.3 MB)
- Kindle (945 KB)
- RSS (423 KB)
- HTML (17.5 MB)
- SCORM (17.5 MB)
- OUXML Package (23 KB)
- OUXML File (106 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (17.8 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.