The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life Story: Growing upMonday, 29th August 2016 22:00 - BBC FourFrom the cradle to the grave can be a short journey - it's a challenge out there. Read more: Life Story: Growing up
Full Steam Ahead: Episode fiveTuesday, 30th August 2016 00:40 - BBC Two
Hidden histories: Britain's oldest family businesses: Balson The ButcherTuesday, 30th August 2016 22:00 - BBC Four
Catching History's Criminals: The Forensics Story: A Question Of IdentityWednesday, 31st August 2016 22:00 - BBC Four
Full Steam Ahead: Episode sixAvailable until Monday, 26th September 2016 16:30The final episode of Full Steam Ahead looks at how more free time and rail transport allowed Victorians to travel... Read more: Full Steam Ahead: Episode six
Life Story: First stepsAvailable until Sunday, 25th September 2016 00:50
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Proxima b exoplanet, The Hunt for Vulcan, East Antarctic lakes, Deep sea shark huntingAvailable for over a year
Full Steam Ahead: Episode fourAvailable until Thursday, 22nd September 2016 01:15
OpenLearn Live: August Bank Holiday Special 2016Get more than an ice cream out of your holiday weekend - make the most of the last of summer. Read more: OpenLearn Live: August Bank Holiday Special 2016
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Internet of everythingThe internet of everything (IoE) is the networked connection of people, process, data and things.... Try: Internet of everything now
Starting with psychologyThe most 'important and greatest puzzle' we face as humans is ourselves (Boring, 1950, p. 56).... Try: Starting with psychology now
Do you want to learn the basics of the German language? This free course, Rundblick: beginners' German, will take you on a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people. This OpenLearn course will give you the opportunity to develop language skills which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the singular forms of personal pronouns, singular forms of the regular verb kommen and generalisations using man
- use improved vocabulary and pronunciation related to place names, numbers 0–10, countries, finding out what is available when ordering and paying for things, ordering and paying for food
- understand the cultures of places and people in Germany, Switzerland and Austria, German-speaking minorities
- address people, imitate German pronunciation, and read for gist
- learned how to work out meanings from the contexts.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Talking about places and locations
- 2 Understanding information about countries and languages
- 3 Giving and understanding personal information
- 4 Ordering and paying for things
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Rundblick: beginners' German
This free course focuses on planning and preparing for a journey through German-speaking countries. You will read and hear about a range of places and people.
You will learn the names of things you need to remember when travelling and, most importantly, you will find out what it’s like to read and listen to German in real contexts, and about developing strategies and studying useful phrases, which will help you to cope in a range of situations.
You will also find out how to order and pay for things in cafes and restaurants.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 29th March 2016
Last updated on: Tuesday, 29th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - German
- Latest pages tagged - beginners
- Latest pages tagged - food and drink
- Latest pages tagged - German
- Latest pages tagged - German advanced
- Latest pages tagged - introducing oneself
- Latest pages tagged - Language
- Latest pages tagged - ordering food and drink
- Latest pages tagged - L193_1
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.8 MB)
- PDF (1.3 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (17.3 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.3 MB)
- Kindle (945 KB)
- RSS (423 KB)
- HTML (17.5 MB)
- SCORM (17.5 MB)
- OUXML Package (23 KB)
- OUXML File (106 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (17.8 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.