The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and HuntedFriday, 27th May 2016 11:30 - EdenEveryone's hungry. Everyone's lunch. Read more: Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and Hunted
Life - with David Attenborough: Hunters and HuntedFriday, 27th May 2016 17:30 - Eden
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Friday, 27th May 2016 19:00 - BBC Two (Scotland only)
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsMonday, 30th May 2016 00:15 - BBC Radio 4
Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 26th June 2016 20:00With only four weeks left at the Oxford Academy, we look to see how the old and young have learned from each other. Read more: Old School With The Hairy Bikers: EPISODE 3
Thinking Allowed 2016: 'Queer' wars, Nigerian beauty pageantsAvailable for over a year
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: Exams and the mental health of children, a community approach to suicide preventionAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed 2016: Glasgow gangs - Russian gangsAvailable for over a year
Life - with David AttenboroughDavid Attenborough explores the vibrant mix of life found on our plant - where it comes from, and... Read more: Life - with David Attenborough
Reboot Your STEM CareerReturning to a STEM career? Reboot Your STEM Career is a comprehensive interactive... Launch now: Reboot Your STEM Career
Una lengua en movimientoThis free course will develop your knowledge and understanding of the societies and cultures of... Try: Una lengua en movimiento now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This free course, Challenges in advanced management accounting, focuses on strategic management accounting and selected concepts and techniques. It will help you to successfully navigate mid- to long-term challenges to creating sustainable organisations. This OpenLearn course requires a prior understanding of basic management accounting approaches.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand and describe strategic management accounting
- make decisions based on customer profitability using activity costing
- incorporate risk and uncertainty in project appraisal.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Strategic management accounting
- 2 Strategic customer analysis
- 3 Principles of project appraisal
- 3.1 Relevant cash flows and sunk costs
- 3.2 The time value of money, discounting and present value
- 3.3 Why does the value of money depend on time?
- 3.4 Using the WACC as the discount rate for a project
- 3.5 Problems with using the WACC as the discount rate for a project
- 3.6 Using the CAPM to find a project-specific cost of equity
- 3.7 Problems with using the CAPM to find a project-specific cost of equity
- 3.8 Using a spreadsheet to model project evaluation
- 4 Dealing with risk and uncertainty in project appraisal
- 4.1 Risk and uncertainty
- 4.2 Simple adjustments to deal with increased risk
- 4.3 Using probability and future cash flows to deal with risk
- 4.4 Modelling sensitivity analysis
- 4.5 The value of information
- 5 End-of-course exercises
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Challenges in advanced management accounting
This free course focuses on selected challenges for organisations that management accounting concepts and techniques may be useful to address. The aim is to develop an understanding of some strategic approaches that contribute to the successful navigation of mid- to long-term challenges to create sustainable organisations. This is an advanced free course that requires a prior understanding of basic management accounting approaches.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 11th February 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Money & Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Business Studies
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Accounting and Finance
- Latest pages tagged - B392_1
- Latest pages tagged - Accounting
- Latest pages tagged - accounts
- Latest pages tagged - business
- Latest pages tagged - finance
- Latest pages tagged - financial management
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.9 MB)
- PDF (778 KB)
- ePub 3.0 (59.3 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (953 KB)
- Kindle (635 KB)
- RSS (561 KB)
- HTML (59.8 MB)
- SCORM (59.8 MB)
- OUXML Package (59 KB)
- OUXML File (244 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (59.8 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.