The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheFriday, 24th June 2016 01:05 - BBC Radio 4 BBC4 SignedBettany Hughes takes us on an exploration of Friedrich Nietzsche's life and works. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Nietzsche
The Big C & Me: Episode 2Friday, 24th June 2016 01:05 - BBC Two
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheFriday, 24th June 2016 02:40 - BBC Four
Thinking Allowed 2016: A special programme on Pierre BourdieuMonday, 27th June 2016 00:15 - BBC Radio 4
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheAvailable until Friday, 29th July 2016 00:00Bettany Hughes takes us on an exploration of Friedrich Nietzsche's life and works. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Nietzsche
The Big C & Me: Episode 2Available until Sunday, 24th July 2016 02:05
The Big C & Me: Episode 3Available until Friday, 22nd July 2016 23:55
Thinking Allowed 2016: A special programme on Pierre BourdieuAvailable for over a year
The UK votes out; the EU shrinks; the world reactsReaction from academics around the planet as UK voters elect to leave the E Read more: The UK votes out; the EU shrinks; the world reacts
City in The SkyThis three-part OU/BBC co-production on BBC Two investigates the 'City in the Sky'. You... Read more: City in The Sky
Grammar mattersGrammar matters because, combined with vocabulary choice, it is our main way of making meaning.... Try: Grammar matters now
English: skills for learningEnglish: skills for learning, is a free course for anybody who is thinking of studying for a... Try: English: skills for learning now
This free course, Challenges in advanced management accounting, focuses on strategic management accounting and selected concepts and techniques. It will help you to successfully navigate mid- to long-term challenges to creating sustainable organisations. This OpenLearn course requires a prior understanding of basic management accounting approaches.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand and describe strategic management accounting
- make decisions based on customer profitability using activity costing
- incorporate risk and uncertainty in project appraisal.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Strategic management accounting
- 2 Strategic customer analysis
- 3 Principles of project appraisal
- 3.1 Relevant cash flows and sunk costs
- 3.2 The time value of money, discounting and present value
- 3.3 Why does the value of money depend on time?
- 3.4 Using the WACC as the discount rate for a project
- 3.5 Problems with using the WACC as the discount rate for a project
- 3.6 Using the CAPM to find a project-specific cost of equity
- 3.7 Problems with using the CAPM to find a project-specific cost of equity
- 3.8 Using a spreadsheet to model project evaluation
- 4 Dealing with risk and uncertainty in project appraisal
- 4.1 Risk and uncertainty
- 4.2 Simple adjustments to deal with increased risk
- 4.3 Using probability and future cash flows to deal with risk
- 4.4 Modelling sensitivity analysis
- 4.5 The value of information
- 5 End-of-course exercises
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Challenges in advanced management accounting
This free course focuses on selected challenges for organisations that management accounting concepts and techniques may be useful to address. The aim is to develop an understanding of some strategic approaches that contribute to the successful navigation of mid- to long-term challenges to create sustainable organisations. This is an advanced free course that requires a prior understanding of basic management accounting approaches.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 11th February 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Money & Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Business Studies
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Accounting and Finance
- Latest pages tagged - B392_1
- Latest pages tagged - Accounting
- Latest pages tagged - accounts
- Latest pages tagged - business
- Latest pages tagged - finance
- Latest pages tagged - financial management
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.9 MB)
- PDF (778 KB)
- ePub 3.0 (59.3 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (953 KB)
- Kindle (635 KB)
- RSS (561 KB)
- HTML (59.8 MB)
- SCORM (59.8 MB)
- OUXML Package (59 KB)
- OUXML File (244 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (59.8 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.