The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonTuesday, 28th June 2016 21:00 - BBC Radio 4Claudia Hammond presents the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in London
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheTuesday, 28th June 2016 23:00 - BBC Four
City in The Sky: AirborneWednesday, 29th June 2016 02:45 - BBC Two
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonWednesday, 29th June 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheAvailable until Friday, 29th July 2016 00:00Bettany Hughes takes us on an exploration of Friedrich Nietzsche's life and works. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Nietzsche
Canals: The Making of a Nation: HeritageAvailable until Wednesday, 27th July 2016 20:30
Thinking Allowed 2016: A special programme on Pierre BourdieuAvailable for over a year
The Big C & Me: Episode 2Available until Sunday, 24th July 2016 02:05
Where do we get the help that really counts?When only one third of people with mental health symptoms access formal channels of support due... Read more: Where do we get the help that really counts?
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The value of coffeeThis free course explores the economic and cultural value of coffee. You will follow the chain of... Try: The value of coffee now
An introduction to music theoryGain an understanding of the basic building blocks of musical theory and notation. This free... Try: An introduction to music theory now
Gain an insight into facilitating meetings and discussions in the workplace. In this free course, Facilitating group discussions, you will look at some of the behaviours effective facilitators exhibit. Informative and engaging videos will introduce you to examples of facilitation in practice.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the key skills and behaviours required to facilitate a group discussion
- prepare effectively before facilitating a meeting
- consider some of the difficult behaviours that can occur in meetings
- think of some possible strategies for dealing with these.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 What is facilitation?
- 2 The facilitator’s role
- 3 Facilitation styles
- 4 Facilitative behaviours
- 5 Facilitation in practice
- 6 Resources to help with difficult situations
- 7 Learning review and action plan
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Facilitating group discussions
Welcome to this free course on facilitating group discussions.
You’ll start by looking at what is meant by ‘facilitation’ and at different styles of facilitating.
You will have the chance to assess your preferred facilitation style, and also to identify skills that you need to develop to become more effective in this role.
Then you’ll be asked to watch a series of video clips showing facilitation in action.
You’ll meet Alan as he tries to facilitate a meeting of an established group – a chaotic meeting.
Next you will listen to a dialogue between Alan and a more experienced facilitator, Lisa, to see how she handled similar situations in the past.
Lastly, you will see Alan facilitating another meeting of the group – more successfully this time!
To get the most from this course, please enrol. This way the answers you give on-screen will be kept when you come back later. Alternatively, you should note your answers in a notebook.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 29th February 2016
Last updated on: Monday, 29th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Money & Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Human Resources
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Professional Development in Education
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Managing
- Latest pages tagged - FGD_1
- Latest pages tagged - Facilitating group discussions
- Latest pages tagged - skills
- Latest pages tagged - Skills for work
- Latest pages tagged - Facilitation
- Latest pages tagged - discussion
- Latest pages tagged - meetings
- Latest pages tagged - behaviour
- Latest pages tagged - strategy
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (3.1 MB)
- PDF (4.6 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (416.5 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (2.6 MB)
- Kindle (778 KB)
- RSS (460 KB)
- HTML (417 MB)
- SCORM (417 MB)
- OUXML Package (36 KB)
- OUXML File (132 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (416.2 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.