from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsWednesday, 25th November 2015 01:15 - BBC TwoHow do polar predators face the challenges of hunting in the Arctic, the most seasonal place on Earth? The only... Read more: The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the Seasons
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsWednesday, 25th November 2015 01:45 - BBC Two
Power to the People: Episode 2: It's Not Easy Being GreenWednesday, 25th November 2015 03:00 - BBC Four
All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulnessWednesday, 25th November 2015 15:30 -
All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulnessAvailable for over a yearClaudia Hammond presents the latest episode in the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulness
Power to the People: Episode 2: It's Not Easy Being GreenAvailable until Friday, 25th December 2015 04:00
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsAvailable until Friday, 25th December 2015 02:45
The Educators: Series 2: Character LessonsAvailable for over a year
Are businesses just leaping on transgender trends to turn a profit?When Selfridges is clearing space to make a genderfluid display space, and Will Young is working... Read more: Are businesses just leaping on transgender trends to turn a profit?
OpenLearn Live: 25th November 2015The place where fairies, Russians and Noah's granddaughter create their own myths, and background... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 25th November 2015
VeilingThis unit explores controversies associated with the practice of ‘veiling’ within Islam. The... Try: Veiling now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Preparing a project
Managing projects is something most managers will find themselves doing at some point...
Managing projects is something most managers will find themselves doing at some point in their career. This unit aims to provide an overview of the features of a project and the issues that arise in managing a project.
At the end of this free course you should be able to:
- identify the main features of a project;
- explain the importance of the key dimensions of budget, time and quality;
- identify the links between a project's scope and definition and a sponsor's strategic and operational objectives;
- agree the objectives of the project in sufficient detail to enable it to be planned effectively;
- assess the feasibility of a project and to negotiate any necessary amendments with the sponsor to ensure that the goals can be achieved within the constraints of the project.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 What is a project?
- 2 Why projects fail – the dimensions of failure
- 3 Where do projects come from?
- 4 Project inputs and outputs
- 5 Setting aims and objectives
- 6 The stakeholders and their interests
- 7 Will it work?
- 8 A basis for action and the project brief
- 9 Summary
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
Preparing a project
Many managers find that they are required to manage projects. In this unit we aim to help you to take an overview of the features of a project and the issues that arise in managing a project. Once you have identified a piece of work as a project, you are able to use a number of management approaches that have proven effective in managing projects. A project is a one-off, non-repeated activity or set of tasks that achieves clearly stated objectives within a time limit. Most projects are goal-oriented with clear beginnings, middles and ends, have constraints that limit and define the process, and outcomes that can be measured in terms of performance against agreed indicators. Other features of a project include the purpose, goals, resources, constraints and quality requirements.
All of the matters listed in the Learning outcomes below need to be considered before the detailed project brief or definition document can be drawn up. The project brief is an important document because it details the agreement that guides all the subsequent stages of a project.
Having completed your study of this unit, you should be able to prepare a project brief or definition document so that agreeement can be obtained with the project sponsor. This document will provide a blueprint for the planning phase of the project which you can study in OpenLearn unit Planning a Project.
This material is from our archive and is an adapted extract from Fundamentals of Senior Management (B713) which is no longer taught by The Open University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Business Studies courses or view the range of currently available OU Business Studies courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 21st July 2011
Last updated on: Friday, 21st December 2012
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Business Studies
- Latest pages tagged - CharityWise
- Latest pages tagged - Management
- Latest pages tagged - Managers
- Latest pages tagged - Project
- Latest pages tagged - project management
- Latest pages tagged - Trustee_Development
- Latest comments on this page