The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: FantasyTuesday, 25th October 2016 02:50 - BBC FourWhat set of writing conventions govern fantasy novels by the likes of George RR Martin? Andrew Marr explores... Read more: Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: Fantasy
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Tasers, Amnesia Museum, The dangers of diagnosing Donald TrumpTuesday, 25th October 2016 21:00 - BBC Radio 4
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Tasers, Amnesia Museum, The dangers of diagnosing Donald TrumpWednesday, 26th October 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: FantasyWednesday, 26th October 2016 23:00 - BBC Four
Inside The Commons: Reinventing The HouseAvailable until Saturday, 29th October 2016 19:00In the final part of this major four-part series, battles break out over the future of the House. Read more: Inside The Commons: Reinventing The House
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Activist investorsAvailable for over a year
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: HFC Ban; Human Cell Atlas; Origin of Hunting with DogsAvailable for over a year
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: DetectivesAvailable until Friday, 18th November 2016 22:00
The Great British YearThe definitive portrait of the spectacular nature of the country over the course of one year. Read more: The Great British Year
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Liquidity managementIn this free course you will focus on liquidity management, one of the fundamental aspects... Try: Liquidity management now
Forensic psychologyIn this free course, Forensic psychology, you will discover how psychology can help obtain... Try: Forensic psychology now
In this free course, Products, services and branding, you will find out about how organisations manage their products and services. This will include learning about how new products are developed and how the existing portfolio of offerings is managed. The particular characteristics of service products will be explained so that you can understand the impact that these features have on how services are managed.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand what a product is, the various levels which make it up, and different types of products
- understand how products can be classified, and the nature of the product line and product mix.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Products, services and branding
- 2 How products are defined and classified
- 3 Introducing the product life cycle and describing product features
- 4 Thinking about the future for the Volkwagen Golf
- 5 Building a portfolio of beer brands
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Products, services and branding
In this course you will find out about how organisations manage their products and services. This will include learning about how new products are developed and how the existing portfolio of offerings is managed. The particular characteristics of service products will be explained so that you understand the impact that these features have on how services are managed.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 9th September 2011
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Business Studies
- Latest pages tagged - B203_1
- Latest pages tagged - products
- Latest pages tagged - marketing
- Latest pages tagged - services
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: leadership and management
- Latest pages tagged - Skills for work: leadership and management
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (686 KB)
- PDF (1.6 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (551 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (552 KB)
- Kindle (224 KB)
- RSS (74 KB)
- HTML (622 KB)
- SCORM (622 KB)
- OUXML Package (12 KB)
- OUXML File (34 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (7.7 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.