The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Inside The Commons: Reinventing The HouseSaturday, 22nd October 2016 17:30 - BBC Two (Scotland only)In the final part of this major four-part series, battles break out over the future of the House. Read more: Inside The Commons: Reinventing The House
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Activist investorsAvailable for over a yearAre activist investors good or bad for the firms they target? Evan Davis presents. Read more: The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Activist investors
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Lithium Batteries, HCFCs, Cell Mapping and Hunting DogsAvailable for over a year
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: DetectivesAvailable until Friday, 18th November 2016 22:00
The Great British YearThe definitive portrait of the spectacular nature of the country over the course of one year. Read more: The Great British Year
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Liquidity managementIn this free course you will focus on liquidity management, one of the fundamental aspects... Try: Liquidity management now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
Does the recruitment and selection process fill you with dread? Discrimination and equal opportunities legislation can make this area feel like a minefield. If you are faced with appointing a new employee then this free course, Human resources: recruitment and selection, will provide a straightforward guide to the process: from writing job descriptions to finally assessing who to appoint.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- list the skills and knowledge needed to conduct full and fair recruitment and selection
- undertake full and fair recruitment and selection systematically.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Overview
- 2 Effective recruitment and selection
- 3 Person–job fit or person–organisation fit?
- 4 Specifying job and person requirements
- 4.1 Initial assessment
- 4.2 Job analysis
- 4.3 Organisational analysis
- 4.4 Job description
- 4.5 Person specification
- 4.6 Recruiting and selecting internal candidates
- 4.7 Attracting applicants
- 4.8 Advertising
- 4.9 Further particulars, application forms and dealing with paperwork
- 4.10 Shortlisting
- 4.11 References
- 4.12 Candidates make decisions too
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Human resources: recruitment and selection
In this free course, Human resources: recruitment and selection, we look at the first stage of managing people – attracting and selecting staff. Recruitment and selection are usually considered as one process. However, we will make the distinction here between the initial actions and considerations when planning staff recruitment and the process of selecting an individual from a pool of applicants. Recruitment needs to be carefully planned in order to attract the right type of applicant. Ultimately, this increases the chances of making a suitable selection and appointment. Your involvement may be limited to a discussion of the need for a particular job within your team or work area, or you may be required to interview job applicants. Whatever your involvement, this session makes it clear that it is important for you to understand the whole process to make an effective contribution to the staffing of your organisation.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Human Resources courses or view the range of currently available OU Human Resources courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 26th February 2016
Last updated on: Friday, 26th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Human Resources
- Latest pages tagged - B615_1
- Latest pages tagged - human resources (HR)
- Latest pages tagged - Friedrich Nietzsche
- Latest pages tagged - recruitment
- Latest pages tagged - selection
- Latest pages tagged - genes
- Latest pages tagged - legislation
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: career
- Latest pages tagged - skills
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.3 MB)
- PDF (2.3 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (992 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (992 KB)
- Kindle (271 KB)
- RSS (145 KB)
- HTML (707 KB)
- SCORM (705 KB)
- OUXML Package (20 KB)
- OUXML File (61 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (869 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.