The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life Story: ParenthoodFriday, 30th September 2016 00:00 - BBC FourSome parents are more closely involved than others. Read more: Life Story: Parenthood
Life Story: ParenthoodAvailable until Sunday, 30th October 2016 01:00Some parents are more closely involved than others. Read more: Life Story: Parenthood
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: TheresanomicsAvailable for over a year
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Rosetta's comet touchdown finaleAvailable for over a year
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Available until Friday, 28th October 2016 03:05
OpenLearn Live: 30th September 2016A quick collection of items of interest, to bridge the gap between Lives: 100 days of Brexit, the... Watch now: OpenLearn Live: 30th September 2016
Free courses for teachers and student teachersThe links below provide access to a series of free, short Open University courses aimed at... Read more: Free courses for teachers and student teachers
Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital worldThis free course, Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world, will develop your confidence... Try: Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This free course, Discovering management, introduces you to the role of the manager. It covers management activities looking at leadership, human resources, finance, project management, change management, operations management and stakeholder management.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- use a range of activities, tasks, readings, resources and practical tools, to understand the different dimensions of managing and leading
- utilise practical experience of the key areas of management learning.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Exploring ideas
- 1.1 General theories of management –contrasting approaches
- 1.2 Management as a science versus management as an art
- 1.3 Functional perspectives on management
- 1.4 Stakeholder analysis and management
- 2 Developing capabilities
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
This course does not provide you with final answers about what is involved in being a manager; indeed, it will raise lots of questions. Being a manager is a complex and challenging activity and this course will unpick some of the underlying issues and complexities associated with both thinking about management, and being a practising manager.
This course is comprised of:
- Exploring ideas
- An introduction to some general ideas and theories about the different aspects of management.
- An opportunity for you to engage with some of the underlying issues, values and debates associated with management.
- A process through which you will discover how practising managers draw on ideas and theories as a routine part of their work.
- Developing capabilities
- Some of the practicalities of being a manager and the different sorts of roles managers have to play in different situations.
- The tensions and pressures associated with those roles and responsibilities.
- Tools for making sense of the contexts and environments in which you operate.
This course should introduce you to lots of new things about managing – and explain some old things you thought you already knew. You will also discover more about yourself and identify ways you can enhance your current and future practice and performance as a manager.
This OpenLearn course is an adapted extract from the Open University course.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 26th February 2016
Last updated on: Friday, 26th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages tagged - leadership
- Latest pages tagged - neutron stars
- Latest pages tagged - human resources (HR)
- Latest pages tagged - project management
- Latest pages tagged - X-ray binary stars
- Latest pages tagged - binary star systems
- Latest pages tagged - Doppler shift
- Latest pages tagged - B716_1
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.5 MB)
- PDF (2.5 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (26.2 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1 MB)
- Kindle (704 KB)
- RSS (524 KB)
- HTML (26.2 MB)
- SCORM (26.2 MB)
- OUXML Package (61 KB)
- OUXML File (214 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (26.7 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.