The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life Story: ParenthoodMonday, 26th September 2016 23:00 - BBC FourSome parents are more closely involved than others. Read more: Life Story: Parenthood
Life Story: CourtshipAvailable until Sunday, 23rd October 2016 01:25Without Tinder to rely on, how do animals find the right mate? Read more: Life Story: Courtship
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: What's left to explore?Available for over a year
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 2Available until Friday, 21st October 2016 01:35
Life Story: PowerAvailable until Sunday, 16th October 2016 01:35
European Day of LanguagesHappy European Day of Languages! Find out more about why we should celebrate language... Read more: European Day of Languages
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The lottery of birthThis free course, The lottery of birth, will look at both the big picture of the ‘lottery of... Try: The lottery of birth now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This free course, How teams work, provides an introduction to working in virtual project teams by explaining terms and concepts related to teams and to projects. The complexity of the interaction of people and technology is highlighted.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- understand the issues and processes that relate to team formation and development in a virtual context
- identify barriers to effective team work in a virtual environment and propose solutions
- review and comment on team activities in a virtual environment and develop insights to make informed judgements and recommendations for future good practice
- synthesise theory and practical experience to make recommendations for good practice in new team environments.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Different types of team
- 2 Types of virtual team
- 3 Team formation
- 4 Functional team roles
- 5 Decision making and trust
- 6 Team rules
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
How teams work
In this course we shall explore some of the concepts, issues and theories that apply when working as a member of a team. Some of these factors are generally applicable to all teams – both face-to-face and virtual. Other factors are enhanced, reduced or changed by the degree to which the team is a virtual team.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of postgraduate study in.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Leadership and Management courses or view the range of currently available OU Leadership and Management courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 15th March 2011
Last updated on: Monday, 22nd February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages tagged - M891_2
- Latest pages tagged - BepiColombo
- Latest pages tagged - magnetic poles
- Latest pages tagged - apocalypse
- Latest pages tagged - rotating moon
- Latest pages tagged - skills for study: digital and online
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: digital
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: project planning
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- PDF (1.8 MB)
- RSS (293 KB)
- HTML (890 KB)
- OUXML Package (37 KB)
- OUXML File (126 KB)
- Moodle backup (396 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.