The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 2Thursday, 28th July 2016 00:45 - BBC Two (except Scotland and Northern Ireland)In episode 2, we continue Ahmad’s journey. Read more: Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 2
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 2Available until Saturday, 27th August 2016 01:45In episode 2, we continue Ahmad’s journey. Read more: Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 2
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 1Available until Friday, 26th August 2016 03:45
Discovery: The Truth About Success And Failure In Medicine: Going Lean: Heath and the Toyota WayAvailable for over a year
Thinking Allowed July 2016: Food bank Britain, Food poverty in EuropeAvailable for over a year
Managing virtual project teamsMany projects are now ‘virtual’, i.e. some or all of the team are located remotely and may be... Try: Managing virtual project teams now
An introduction to music theoryGain an understanding of the basic building blocks of musical theory and notation. This free... Try: An introduction to music theory now
Do you hate making decisions? Does the ability of others to make snap decisions really frustrate you? This free course will help you understand some of the processes involved in decision making. Attention to the psychology of decision making and the social context in which decisions are made can improve your understanding of others and yourself.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- have greater insight into decision-making processes
- use that insight to make more effective decisions
- possess a range of different perspectives on what counts as an ‘effective’ decision
- be better equipped to understand and influence the decision-making processes of other individuals and groups
- understand better how people perceive and decide about risk.
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Making decisions
- 2 Understanding your own approach
- 3 The rational-economic perspective and its problems
- 4 A psychological perspective
- 5 A sociological perspective
- 6 Risk and decision making
- 7 Making a difference to decision making
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Leadership and Management courses or view the range of currently available OU Leadership and Management courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 11th February 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.7 MB)
- PDF (3.7 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (1.4 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.4 MB)
- Kindle (353 KB)
- RSS (202 KB)
- HTML (826 KB)
- SCORM (821 KB)
- OUXML Package (28 KB)
- OUXML File (86 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (1.4 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.