The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3Friday, 29th July 2016 00:45 - BBC Two21 year old Alaigie is preparing to leave Gambia to travel “the back way” 6000 kilometres to Italy to find work. Read more: Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3
Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3Available until Sunday, 28th August 2016 01:4521 year old Alaigie is preparing to leave Gambia to travel “the back way” 6000 kilometres to Italy to find work. Read more: Exodus: Our Journey To Europe: EPISODE 3
Managing virtual project teamsMany projects are now ‘virtual’, i.e. some or all of the team are located remotely and may be... Try: Managing virtual project teams now
An introduction to music theoryGain an understanding of the basic building blocks of musical theory and notation. This free... Try: An introduction to music theory now
Do you find fundraising difficult? Are others around you making your role as a fundraiser more difficult than it need be? This free course, Managing relationships, will help you to understand your role by analysing a variety of issues about fundraising and the dilemmas and problems that organisations involved in winning resources and support are likely to face.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- explain where the activities associated with winning resources and support fit into an organisation and its wider context
- think more critically and creatively in contexts relevant to fundraising and campaigning
- draw on the concepts of stakeholders and customers in solving problems about professional dilemmas.
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
This course focuses on the fundraising role and understanding the organisational relationships that surround it. It assumes that you have some involvement in fundraising, but anybody with a role which faces external customers (such as marketing or public relations) will find parallels with their experience here. Organisations with a dedicated fundraiser or bigger ones with a substantial separate fundraising department may find that tensions and dilemmas emerge around the place of fundraising and its relationship to the wider organisation. These tensions are also likely to be present in smaller organisations – perhaps not so evident as organisational issues, but more ones of role conflict. Teasing out what are effectively organisational tensions is useful in understanding why some aspects of fundraising are difficult to achieve. This course will help you to explain how the activities associated with winning resources and support fit into your own organisation.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of postgraduate study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Leadership and Management courses or view the range of currently available OU Leadership and Management courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 11th February 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages tagged - relationships
- Latest pages tagged - resources
- Latest pages tagged - moon landing
- Latest pages tagged - world days
- Latest pages tagged - customers
- Latest pages tagged - organisations
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (553 KB)
- PDF (1.4 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (449 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (450 KB)
- Kindle (256 KB)
- RSS (81 KB)
- HTML (658 KB)
- SCORM (657 KB)
- OUXML Package (14 KB)
- OUXML File (40 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (608 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.