from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did NextTuesday, 1st December 2015 15:00 - BBC Radio 4Finland has one of the highest-performing education systems in the world, yet it is overhauling the way schools teach... Read more: The Educators: Series 2: What Finland Did Next
All in the Mind: IAP Services, MP Kevin Jones, BilingualismTuesday, 1st December 2015 21:00 - BBC Radio 4
Power to the People: Episode 3: The Customer is Always RightTuesday, 1st December 2015 21:00 - BBC Four
Power to the People: Episode 3: The Customer is Always RightWednesday, 2nd December 2015 02:25 - BBC Four
Ireland with Simon Reeve: Episode 2Available until Thursday, 7th January 2016 00:45
The Hunt: Episode 4: Hunger at SeaAvailable until Tuesday, 29th December 2015 17:50
Catching History's Criminals: The Forensics Story: Traces Of GuiltAvailable until Tuesday, 29th December 2015 00:00
BBC Inside Science: Astronomy Q&A, CERN and ancient genomesAvailable for over a year
Advent with OpenLearn 2015Unveil the free learning treats hidden behind each door of the 2015 OpenLearn Advent... Launch now: Advent with OpenLearn 2015
OpenLearn Live: 1st December 2015The woman who took Korea into space, and the woman whose defiance on a bus helped reshape a... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 1st December 2015
Basic science: understanding experimentsThis free course introduces you to science-based skills through simple and exciting physics,... Try: Basic science: understanding experiments now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Understanding operations management
Operations management is one of the central functions of all organisations. This free...
Operations management is one of the central functions of all organisations. This free course, Understanding operations management, will provide you with a basic framework for understanding this function, whether producing goods or services or in the private, public or voluntary sectors. In addition, this OpenLearn course discusses the role of operations managers and the importance of focusing on suppliers and customers.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- define ‘operations’ and ‘operations management’
- identify the roles and responsibilities of operations managers in different organisational contexts
- identify the operations management aspects of your own work
- apply the ‘transformation model’ to identify the inputs, transformation processes and outputs of an organisation
- identify the operational and administrative processes in your own organisation
- describe the boundaries of an operations system, and recognise its interfaces with other functional areas within the organisation and with its external environment.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Understanding operations management
- 2 Operations, operations management and operations managers
- 3 The transformation model
- 4 The boundary of the operations system
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
Understanding operations management
This free course, Understanding operations management, is designed to provide you with a basic framework for understanding operations management and its organisational and managerial context. It begins with a brief history of the changing nature of operations in a manufacturing context, but emphasises that the operations function is significant in all types of organisation, whether they produce goods or provide services, and whether they are in the private, public or voluntary sectors.
This course presents a process model of operations that describes inputs being transformed into outputs within the boundary of an operations system. It also discusses the role of operations managers, in particular the importance of focusing on suppliers and customers who are outside this boundary, as well as on other aspects of the operations system's external environment.
The Open University is conducting a survey investigating how people use the free educational content on our OpenLearn website. The aim is to provide a better free learning experience for everyone. So if you have 10 minutes to spare, we’d be delighted if you could take part and
Please note this will take you out of OpenLearn, we suggest you open this in a new tab by right clicking on the link and choosing ‘Open Link in new Tab’.
This OpenLearn course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Money & Management courses or view the range of currently available OU Business & Management courses.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Leadership and Management courses or view the range of currently available OU Leadership and Management courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 28th September 2015
Last updated on: Monday, 28th September 2015
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Leadership and Management
- Latest pages tagged - relative quantity
- Latest pages tagged - cosmic rays
- Latest pages tagged - marketing
- Latest pages tagged - Supernovae
- Latest pages tagged - customers
- Latest pages tagged - B700_2
- Latest comments on this page