The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonTuesday, 28th June 2016 21:00 - BBC Radio 4Claudia Hammond presents the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in London
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheTuesday, 28th June 2016 23:00 - BBC Four
City in The Sky: AirborneWednesday, 29th June 2016 02:45 - BBC Two
All in the Mind - Summer 2016: All in the Mind Awards Ceremony from the Wellcome Collection in LondonWednesday, 29th June 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Genius of the Modern World: NietzscheAvailable until Friday, 29th July 2016 00:00Bettany Hughes takes us on an exploration of Friedrich Nietzsche's life and works. Read more: Genius of the Modern World: Nietzsche
Canals: The Making of a Nation: HeritageAvailable until Wednesday, 27th July 2016 20:30
Thinking Allowed 2016: A special programme on Pierre BourdieuAvailable for over a year
The Big C & Me: Episode 2Available until Sunday, 24th July 2016 02:05
Where do we get the help that really counts?When only one third of people with mental health symptoms access formal channels of support due... Read more: Where do we get the help that really counts?
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The value of coffeeThis free course explores the economic and cultural value of coffee. You will follow the chain of... Try: The value of coffee now
An introduction to music theoryGain an understanding of the basic building blocks of musical theory and notation. This free... Try: An introduction to music theory now
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Gain the skills to manage your personal finances: managing budgets, debts, investments, property purchase, pensions and insurance.
With real incomes falling and personal debt at a record high, there has never been a better time to improve your personal financial skills – Managing my money aims to do just that.
You'll start by learning how to compile a budget and use it to make good decisions about your spending. You’ll explore debts and investments, and find out how mortgages are used to finance home ownership. The critical issue of pension planning is explained, with guidance on different pension products. You'll finish by examining different types of insurance and getting practical advice on how to make rational decisions about which insurance products to buy.
Using up-to-the minute data from the UK you develop financial skills and approaches that are relevant globally. The course is rich in high-quality text, images, video, audio and interactive elements to support your learning.
This course is presented on OpenLearn with the kind support of True Potential LLP. If you want to know more about the work of the True Potential Centre for the Public Understanding of Finance (PUFin) and its mission to improve personal financial capability, check out the centre’s website. The centre, generously funded by True Potential LLP, has a mission to develop teaching and undertake research to help improve public financial capability.
This course is intended for those with an interest in developing their personal financial skills to make good decisions when managing their finances and buying financial products. The course does not require any previous experience of studying this subject.
After completing this course you will be able to:
- understand how to undertake financial planning, including drawing up a budget and a household balance sheet
- apply a systematic approach to making key financial decisions
- understand loans, mortgages and other debt products and their costs
- understand the main categories of personal investments, their characteristics and the returns they provide to investors
- understand pension products and how to undertake pension planning
- understand insurance products and how they are priced.
Record of achievement
By enrolling on this course you can track your progress and gain a Statement of Participation for completing the whole course.
Creative Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 13th April 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Money & Management
- Latest pages tagged - MMM_1
- Latest pages tagged - finance
- Latest pages tagged - budgeting
- Latest pages tagged - insurance
- Latest pages tagged - pensions
- Latest pages tagged - risk
- Latest pages tagged - debt
- Latest comments on this page