The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Wednesday, 28th September 2016 01:35 - BBC Two (except Scotland)Andrew Marr discovers why the Scotland he was born in has changed so much politically. Read more: Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Available until Friday, 28th October 2016 03:05Andrew Marr discovers why the Scotland he was born in has changed so much politically. Read more: Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1
Life Story: ParenthoodAvailable until Sunday, 30th October 2016 01:00
Life Story: CourtshipAvailable until Sunday, 23rd October 2016 01:25
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: What's left to explore?Available for over a year
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The lottery of birthThis free course, The lottery of birth, will look at both the big picture of the ‘lottery of... Try: The lottery of birth now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
This free course, Introducing corporate finance, introduces you to the importance of finance and the role it plays in organisations. It explains the different functions of money and the ways in which finance is linked to organisational strategies. The course also explores the ways in which finance is linked to the governance of organisations, how organisations fund their activities, and the role of the finance and accounting functions.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- identify the key themes in corporate finance
- explain the role of finance in an organisation
- explain and analyse the interrelationship between finance and governance
- analyse the relationship between strategic decision making and corporate financing decisions.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- The importance of corporate finance
- The role of money
- Finance and managers
- The public sector and not-for-profit sector
- External stakeholders
- The finance department
- Finance and accounting
- Financial control and treasury
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Introducing corporate finance
In this course you will study the theories and concepts of corporate finance that are relevant to today’s business managers, whether they work in the for-profit sector, public sector or not-for-profit sector.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of postgraduate study in.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Finance courses or view the range of currently available OU Finance courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 24th July 2012
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Finance
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Health, Sports & Psychology
- Latest pages tagged - BB831_1
- Latest pages tagged - stock markets
- Latest pages tagged - corporate
- Latest pages tagged - risks
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: money and finance
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.3 MB)
- PDF (2.4 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (16.9 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.1 MB)
- Kindle (367 KB)
- RSS (190 KB)
- HTML (16.8 MB)
- SCORM (16.8 MB)
- OUXML Package (23 KB)
- OUXML File (69 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (18.6 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.