The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: FantasyMonday, 24th October 2016 21:00 - BBC FourWhat set of writing conventions govern fantasy novels by the likes of George RR Martin? Andrew Marr explores... Read more: Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: Fantasy
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: FantasyTuesday, 25th October 2016 02:50 - BBC Four
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Tasers, Amnesia Museum, The dangers of diagnosing Donald TrumpTuesday, 25th October 2016 21:00 - BBC Radio 4
All in the Mind - Autumn/Winter 2016: Tasers, Amnesia Museum, The dangers of diagnosing Donald TrumpWednesday, 26th October 2016 15:30 - BBC Radio 4
Inside The Commons: Reinventing The HouseAvailable until Saturday, 29th October 2016 19:00In the final part of this major four-part series, battles break out over the future of the House. Read more: Inside The Commons: Reinventing The House
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Activist investorsAvailable for over a year
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: HFC Ban; Human Cell Atlas; Origin of Hunting with DogsAvailable for over a year
Sleuths, Spies & Sorcerers: Andrew Marr’s Paperback Heroes: DetectivesAvailable until Friday, 18th November 2016 22:00
The Great British YearThe definitive portrait of the spectacular nature of the country over the course of one year. Read more: The Great British Year
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Liquidity managementIn this free course you will focus on liquidity management, one of the fundamental aspects... Try: Liquidity management now
Forensic psychologyIn this free course, Forensic psychology, you will discover how psychology can help obtain... Try: Forensic psychology now
This free course, Introducing corporate finance, introduces you to the importance of finance and the role it plays in organisations. It explains the different functions of money and the ways in which finance is linked to organisational strategies. The course also explores the ways in which finance is linked to the governance of organisations, how organisations fund their activities, and the role of the finance and accounting functions.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- identify the key themes in corporate finance
- explain the role of finance in an organisation
- explain and analyse the interrelationship between finance and governance
- analyse the relationship between strategic decision making and corporate financing decisions.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- The importance of corporate finance
- The role of money
- Finance and managers
- The public sector and not-for-profit sector
- External stakeholders
- The finance department
- Finance and accounting
- Financial control and treasury
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Introducing corporate finance
In this course you will study the theories and concepts of corporate finance that are relevant to today’s business managers, whether they work in the for-profit sector, public sector or not-for-profit sector.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of postgraduate study in.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Finance courses or view the range of currently available OU Finance courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Tuesday, 24th July 2012
Last updated on: Thursday, 11th February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Finance
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Health, Sports & Psychology
- Latest pages tagged - BB831_1
- Latest pages tagged - stock markets
- Latest pages tagged - corporate
- Latest pages tagged - risks
- Latest pages tagged - skills for work: money and finance
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.3 MB)
- PDF (2.4 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (16.9 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (1.1 MB)
- Kindle (367 KB)
- RSS (190 KB)
- HTML (16.8 MB)
- SCORM (16.8 MB)
- OUXML Package (23 KB)
- OUXML File (69 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (18.6 MB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.