from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsWednesday, 25th November 2015 01:15 - BBC TwoHow do polar predators face the challenges of hunting in the Arctic, the most seasonal place on Earth? The only... Read more: The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the Seasons
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsWednesday, 25th November 2015 01:45 - BBC Two
Power to the People: Episode 2: It's Not Easy Being GreenWednesday, 25th November 2015 03:00 - BBC Four
All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulnessWednesday, 25th November 2015 15:30 -
All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulnessAvailable for over a yearClaudia Hammond presents the latest episode in the series that explores the limits and potential of the human mind. Read more: All in the Mind: Mindfulness, porn addiction and slothfulness
Power to the People: Episode 2: It's Not Easy Being GreenAvailable until Friday, 25th December 2015 04:00
The Hunt: Episode 2: In the Grip of the SeasonsAvailable until Friday, 25th December 2015 02:45
The Educators: Series 2: Character LessonsAvailable for over a year
Are businesses just leaping on transgender trends to turn a profit?When Selfridges is clearing space to make a genderfluid display space, and Will Young is working... Read more: Are businesses just leaping on transgender trends to turn a profit?
OpenLearn Live: 25th November 2015The place where fairies, Russians and Noah's granddaughter create their own myths, and background... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 25th November 2015
VeilingThis unit explores controversies associated with the practice of ‘veiling’ within Islam. The... Try: Veiling now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
You and your money
An important aspect of personal finance is the way individuals and households manage...
An important aspect of personal finance is the way individuals and households manage their debt, how much it costs and the different types of credit they can or cannot access. This unit explores these issues, with respect to the wider, changing, social and economic context.
By the end of this unit you should:
- have knowledge of the structure of the financial services industry and the role of financial liberalisation in shaping this industry
- understand the basics of debt and interest
- have an appreciation of different forms of unsecured lending
- be able to apply the financial planning model to the borrowing process.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Debt
- 2 Exploration of debt
- 3 Debt costs
- 4 Debt and household finance
- 5 The borrowing process
- 6 Conclusion
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
You and your money
This unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course. It focuses on debt and borrowing. This is an important aspect of personal finance as it ties in with the broader context of how debt can be used in the economic system to channel growth but at the same time involve risks for indebted individuals.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 23rd April 2012
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.