from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Canals: The Making of a Nation: EngineeringTuesday, 1st September 2015 20:00 - BBC FourEpisode 6 of 6 looks at the rise of civil engineering and the feats of technology behind the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Read more: Canals: The Making of a Nation: Engineering
Canals: The Making of a Nation: EngineeringAvailable until Friday, 2nd October 2015 01:50Episode 6 of 6 looks at the rise of civil engineering and the feats of technology behind the Leeds-Liverpool canal. Read more: Canals: The Making of a Nation: Engineering
More or Less: Chinese market crash, e-cigarettes and runnersAvailable until Tuesday, 29th September 2015 20:30
The world’s busiest railway 2015 – Mumbai Railway: Episode 1Available until Tuesday, 29th September 2015 19:00
Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school: Episode TwoAvailable until Monday, 28th September 2015 01:55
OpenLearn Live: 1st September 2015A four day week, starting with four things; then free learning across the day. Read more: OpenLearn Live: 1st September 2015
Are our kids tough enough? Chinese schoolIn a unique experiment, five teachers from China take over the education of 50 teenagers in a... Read more: Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school
Challenges in advanced management accountingThis free course, Challenges in advanced management accounting, focuses on strategic management... Try: Challenges in advanced management accounting now
Forensic psychologyDiscover how psychology can help obtain evidence from eyewitnesses in police investigations and... Try: Forensic psychology now
You and your money
An important aspect of personal finance is the way individuals and households manage...
An important aspect of personal finance is the way individuals and households manage their debt, how much it costs and the different types of credit they can or cannot access. This unit explores these issues, with respect to the wider, changing, social and economic context.
By the end of this unit you should:
- have knowledge of the structure of the financial services industry and the role of financial liberalisation in shaping this industry
- understand the basics of debt and interest
- have an appreciation of different forms of unsecured lending
- be able to apply the financial planning model to the borrowing process.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Debt
- 2 Exploration of debt
- 3 Debt costs
- 4 Debt and household finance
- 5 The borrowing process
- 6 Conclusion
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
You and your money
This unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course. It focuses on debt and borrowing. This is an important aspect of personal finance as it ties in with the broader context of how debt can be used in the economic system to channel growth but at the same time involve risks for indebted individuals.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Monday, 23rd April 2012
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.