The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Inside The Commons: Lifting The LidSaturday, 1st October 2016 17:10 - BBC Two Scotland onlyMichael Cockerell presents the first in a four-part series with unparalleled access to the House of Commons, filmed... Read more: Inside The Commons: Lifting The Lid
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: TheresanomicsAvailable for over a yearTheresa May wants a bigger role for government in business. Will it happen? Can it work? Read more: The Bottom Line: Autumn 2016: Theresanomics
Life Story: ParenthoodAvailable until Sunday, 30th October 2016 01:00
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: Rosetta's comet touchdown finaleAvailable for over a year
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Available until Friday, 28th October 2016 03:05
OpenLearn Live: 30th September 2016A quick collection of items of interest, to bridge the gap between Lives: 100 days of Brexit, the... Watch now: OpenLearn Live: 30th September 2016
Free courses for teachers and student teachersThe links below provide access to a series of free, short Open University courses aimed at... Read more: Free courses for teachers and student teachers
Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital worldThis free course, Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world, will develop your confidence... Try: Digital literacy: succeeding in a digital world now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
There is increasing recognition that the reductionist mindset that is currently dominating society, rooted in unlimited economic growth unperceptive to its social and environmental impact, cannot resolve the converging environmental, social and economic crises we now face. The primary aim of this free course, Understanding the environment: Learning and communication, is to encourage the shift away from reductionist and human centred thinking towards a holistic and ecological worldview.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- practise a very basic implementation of cybernetic optimisation through the use of the action learning process
- appreciate the role of visual modes of communication in surfacing and reflecting on personal mental models
- practise visual modelling and communication as basic skills in systems thinking and practice.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 course outline
- 2 Section 2 Readings – Learning and communication
- 3 Section 2 Activities
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
Understanding the environment: learning and communication
This course will facilitate your own exploration of key environmental, social and economic threats that will converge to challenge communities in the near future. You will be required to develop this exploration according to three modes of modelling and communication: verbal, visual, and numerical. This multi-mode approach encourages a more holistic exploration of the complexity involving the left and right side of the brain and using a wider range of intelligences. This will hopefully allow you to produce a more appropriate and actionable understanding of complex situations in stark contrast to the conventional logical-analytical approach which is usually taught in educational establishments.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of level 2 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Environmental Studies courses or view the range of currently available OU Environmental Studies courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 17th March 2016
Last updated on: Thursday, 17th March 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Environmental Studies
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Accounting and Finance
- Latest pages tagged - CharityWise
- Latest pages tagged - communication
- Latest pages tagged - communication channel
- Latest pages tagged - communication modes and models
- Latest pages tagged - feedback loop
- Latest pages tagged - indicators measurement
- Latest pages tagged - Learning
- Latest pages tagged - learning cycles
- Latest pages tagged - linear sequential thinking
- Latest pages tagged - mathematical communication
- Latest pages tagged - oral communication
- Latest pages tagged - relational logical thinking
- Latest pages tagged - shared models
- Latest pages tagged - visual communication
- Latest pages tagged - written communication
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (1.1 MB)
- PDF (2.6 MB)
- ePub 3.0 (922 KB)
- ePub 2.0 (923 KB)
- Kindle (327 KB)
- RSS (301 KB)
- HTML (762 KB)
- SCORM (761 KB)
- OUXML Package (28 KB)
- OUXML File (79 KB)
- IMS Common cartridge
- Moodle backup (352 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.