6.11 Week 6 summary
This week we have:
- described the atmospheric processes that give rise to winds on the planet and the power they contain
- described the principal wind turbine types, the aerodynamic principles governing their operation, and various ways of calculating their power and energy production
- discussed the environmental impacts of wind turbines: noise; electromagnetic interference; aviation-related issues; wildlife impacts; public attitudes; and planning considerations
- looked at the economics of wind energy, and its projected future costs
- discussed offshore wind power, likely to be an important area of progress in coming decades
- concluded with a discussion of recent developments in wind energy and some projections of wind energy’s future potential, world-wide and in the EU.
You can now go to Week 7.