1.2 Essay writing
Essay writing is a complex process. However, essays continue to be used in much formal learning. This is because they are seen as a good way to pull together ideas, and to show yourself and others what you have learned and thought.
You do not have to write any essays for this course, but if you do start a course that has this requirement, here are ten tips that you can refer to later. (So why not make a note of them?)
- Allow plenty of time. (Remember your time-management skills from Week 2? You might want to revisit these for more helpful hints and tips.)
- Always read the question carefully, picking out the key words.
- Read all the guidance provided.
- Use a highlighter (or other method) to identify relevant parts of your notes.
- Make a plan before starting.
- Have an introduction that outlines what you plan to say, then say it, then have a conclusion which highlights the main points from your answer.
- Keep focused on the question.
- Leave it overnight, and then review what you have written.
- Write your final draft.
- Submit it on time!