2.1 Analysing the assignment question and deciding what to read
As you know, the first steps to writing a successful assignment consist of analysing the assignment question and preparing a draft outline. In the next activity you will practise these steps again.
Read the assignment question and answer the questions that follow:
Why is it important for carers to recognise the differences between public and private spaces? Your answer should refer to care provided in hospital, residential and domestic care settings.
- What are the instruction words?
- What are the content words?
- What would be a suitable outline?
- If you had to write this essay, what information would you look for in your readings?
Make some notes in the box below and then compare your answers with mine.
- Why is it important?: The assignment question asks students to provide a reason.
- Your answer should refer to …: this instruction introduces the areas (specific care settings) on which the answer should focus.
Carers, public spaces, private spaces, differences, hospitals, residential and domestic care settings
Figure 4 shows the draft outline that Fred produced:
Information to look for in readings
Fred wrote the following notes and questions to guide his readings: