The Open University since 2006
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1Wednesday, 28th September 2016 01:35 - BBC Two (except Scotland)Andrew Marr discovers why the Scotland he was born in has changed so much politically. Read more: Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 1
Life Story: ParenthoodAvailable until Sunday, 30th October 2016 01:00Some parents are more closely involved than others. Read more: Life Story: Parenthood
Life Story: CourtshipAvailable until Sunday, 23rd October 2016 01:25
BBC Inside Science - 2016/2017 series: What's left to explore?Available for over a year
Scotland and The Battle for Britain: Episode 2Available until Friday, 21st October 2016 01:35
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The lottery of birthThis free course, The lottery of birth, will look at both the big picture of the ‘lottery of... Try: The lottery of birth now
Organisations and management accountingThis free course, Organisations and management accounting, examines the nature of organisations,... Try: Organisations and management accounting now
No idea how relational database systems are constructed? Did you know that they underpin the majority of the managed data storage in computer systems? This free course, The database development life cycle, has been designed to give you an overview of the developmental lifecycle for a database system, explaining the importance of data analysis and highlighting how database development differs from traditional software development.
After studying this course, you should be able to:
- describe the key points of the waterfall model applied to database development
- appreciate the roles of various development artefacts, such as the data requirements document, conceptual data model and such like used to communicate between activities in the database development life cycle
- communicate effectively about aspects of the development of databases.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 The database development life cycle
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 A development life cycle
- 1.3 Requirements gathering
- 1.4 Analysis
- 1.5 Design
- 1.6 Implementation
- 1.7 Testing
- 1.8 Maintenance
- Keep on learning
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
The database development life cycle
Relational database systems underpin the majority of the managed data storage in computer systems. This course presents an overview of the development life cycle for a database system and highlights how the database development differs from traditional software development.
This OpenLearn course provides a sample of Level 3 study in
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Information and Communication Technologies courses or view the range of currently available OU Information and Communication Technologies courses.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
Last updated on: Monday, 22nd February 2016
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements and our FAQs section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Information and Communication Technologies
- Latest pages tagged - M359_1
- Latest pages tagged - database
- Latest pages tagged - systems
- Latest pages tagged - life cycle
- Latest pages tagged - software
- Latest pages tagged - skills for study: maths and data
- Latest comments on this page
All our alternative formats are free for you to download, for more information about the different formats we offer please see our FAQs. The most frequently used are Word (for accessibility), PDF (for print) and ePub and Kindle to download to eReaders*.
- Word (402 KB)
- PDF (2.4 MB)
- ePub 2.0 (770 KB)
- RSS (136 KB)
- HTML (858 KB)
- OUXML Package (19 KB)
- OUXML File (61 KB)
*Please note you will need an ePub and Mobi reader for these formats.