from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Great British Year: SpringMonday, 12th October 2015 21:00 - BBC FourThe white shades to green; the landscape awakens. Read more: The Great British Year: Spring
The Secret Life of Books: Series Two: The Faerie QueeneTuesday, 13th October 2015 20:30 - BBC Four
The Secret Life of Books: Series Two: The Faerie QueeneWednesday, 14th October 2015 02:30 - BBC Four
Countdown To Life: The Extraordinary Making Of You: The First 8 WeeksWednesday, 14th October 2015 02:45 - BBC Two
The Bottom Line: Autumn 2015: Crisis at VW: A Bottom Line SpecialAvailable for over a yearIn this special episode of The Bottom Line, Evan Davis and his guests discuss the emissions scandal at Volkswagen. Read more: The Bottom Line: Autumn 2015: Crisis at VW: A Bottom Line Special
The Rules of the GameHow do governing bodies of sport ensure fair play on and off the pitch? Kath Woodward... Read more: The Rules of the Game
OpenLearn Live: 12th October 2015Meet Eastern Europe's first black mayor, the CD that could destroy the universe - and then... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 12th October 2015
Estimating the cost of equityThis free course, Estimating the risk and return of a share, examines how investors determine the... Try: Estimating the cost of equity now
Succeed with maths – Part 1If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course is for... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet,...
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet, giving you the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Useful tricks and tips are provided as well as information on web browsers, the main features of a browser window, how to look at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs.
After studying this you should:
- understand the buttons on the standard web browser toolbar;
- be able to search the web using a search engine;
- understand how to gauge the reliability of a website;
- be aware of web security;
- be familiar with the Adobe pdf document format;
- understand issues around accessibility and the web.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 How to use this unit
- 1.1 Web browser basics
- 1.2 Looking at websites
- 1.3 Getting the most out of websites
- 1.4 Assessing the quality of websites
- 1.5 Safe surfing
- 1.6 Working with PDFs
- 1.7 Internet accessibility
- 1.8 Language settings
- 1.9 Some useful tips and tricks
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
This unit provides information and advice on how to make effective use of the Internet, covering the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Subjects covered in this unit include web browsers, the main features of a browser window, looking at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the Internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs. At the end of the unit there is a section containing some useful tips and tricks.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.