from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life: PlantsThursday, 30th July 2015 11:00 - EdenAs ingenious as any animal... Read more: Life: Plants
A History of Ideas: Psychotherapist Mark Vernon on FreudThursday, 30th July 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
Life: PlantsThursday, 30th July 2015 17:00 - Eden
Life: PlantsThursday, 30th July 2015 23:00 - Eden
A History of Ideas: Theologian Giles Fraser on AltruismAvailable until Wednesday, 27th July 2016 00:00Giles Fraser explains why our genes determine our concern for others. Read more: A History of Ideas: Theologian Giles Fraser on Altruism
Great Ormond Street Hospital: Fix my genesAvailable until Saturday, 15th August 2015 00:20
The Bank: LendingAvailable until Saturday, 8th August 2015 00:50
OU on the BBC- Wanted: A Very Personal Assistant: Episode OneAvailable until Thursday, 27th August 2015 02:30
Taking cash in hand: Improving money's imageMoney gets a bad press. Nigel Dodd thinks it's time to take a stand. Read more: Taking cash in hand: Improving money's image
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Beginners’ Italian: food and drinkThis free course, Beginners’ Italian: food and drink, focuses on buying drinks and snacks in an... Try: Beginners’ Italian: food and drink now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet,...
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet, giving you the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Useful tricks and tips are provided as well as information on web browsers, the main features of a browser window, how to look at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs.
After studying this you should:
- understand the buttons on the standard web browser toolbar;
- be able to search the web using a search engine;
- understand how to gauge the reliability of a website;
- be aware of web security;
- be familiar with the Adobe pdf document format;
- understand issues around accessibility and the web.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 How to use this unit
- 1.1 Web browser basics
- 1.2 Looking at websites
- 1.3 Getting the most out of websites
- 1.4 Assessing the quality of websites
- 1.5 Safe surfing
- 1.6 Working with PDFs
- 1.7 Internet accessibility
- 1.8 Language settings
- 1.9 Some useful tips and tricks
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
This unit provides information and advice on how to make effective use of the Internet, covering the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Subjects covered in this unit include web browsers, the main features of a browser window, looking at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the Internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs. At the end of the unit there is a section containing some useful tips and tricks.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.