from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Life: InsectsMonday, 27th July 2015 11:00 - EdenYou think there's a lot of people? There's a lot more insects. Read more: Life: Insects
The Bottom Line: Summer 2015: The Bottom Line - SupermarketsAvailable for over a yearEvan Davis and guests discuss who are the long-term winners in the supermarkets' battle to gain market share. Read more: The Bottom Line: Summer 2015: The Bottom Line - Supermarkets
OU on the BBC- Wanted: A Very Personal Assistant: Episode OneAvailable until Thursday, 27th August 2015 02:30
A History of Ideas: Philosopher Timothy Secret on Ancestor WorshipAvailable for over a year
The Met: Policing London: Episode FourAvailable until Friday, 31st July 2015 01:50
Africans tell Obama: Don't go to EthiopiaPresident Obama's visit to Ethiopia starts today [28th July 2015] - but, say some Africans and... Read more: Africans tell Obama: Don't go to Ethiopia
OpenLearn Live: 27th July 2015We're spending some time in the park this week - plus, all the free learning, research and... Read more: OpenLearn Live: 27th July 2015
Seeing the lightThis free course, Seeing the light, will teach you about how the Sun affects your home, both in... Try: Seeing the light now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet,...
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet, giving you the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Useful tricks and tips are provided as well as information on web browsers, the main features of a browser window, how to look at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs.
After studying this you should:
- understand the buttons on the standard web browser toolbar;
- be able to search the web using a search engine;
- understand how to gauge the reliability of a website;
- be aware of web security;
- be familiar with the Adobe pdf document format;
- understand issues around accessibility and the web.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 How to use this unit
- 1.1 Web browser basics
- 1.2 Looking at websites
- 1.3 Getting the most out of websites
- 1.4 Assessing the quality of websites
- 1.5 Safe surfing
- 1.6 Working with PDFs
- 1.7 Internet accessibility
- 1.8 Language settings
- 1.9 Some useful tips and tricks
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
This unit provides information and advice on how to make effective use of the Internet, covering the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Subjects covered in this unit include web browsers, the main features of a browser window, looking at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the Internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs. At the end of the unit there is a section containing some useful tips and tricks.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.