from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school: Episode TwoSaturday, 29th August 2015 00:55 - BBC TwoThe teenagers rebel against the strict discipline and lengthy days at the Chinese school. Read more: Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school: Episode Two
Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school: Episode TwoAvailable until Monday, 28th September 2015 01:55The teenagers rebel against the strict discipline and lengthy days at the Chinese school. Read more: Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school: Episode Two
OpenLearn Live: August Bank Holiday Special 2015Not so much live, but with a great collection of free courses, things to watch and listen to, and... Read more: OpenLearn Live: August Bank Holiday Special 2015
Are our kids tough enough? Chinese schoolIn a unique experiment, five teachers from China take over the education of 50 teenagers in a... Read more: Are our kids tough enough? Chinese school
Challenges in advanced management accountingThis free course, Challenges in advanced management accounting, focuses on strategic management... Try: Challenges in advanced management accounting now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet,...
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet, giving you the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Useful tricks and tips are provided as well as information on web browsers, the main features of a browser window, how to look at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs.
After studying this you should:
- understand the buttons on the standard web browser toolbar;
- be able to search the web using a search engine;
- understand how to gauge the reliability of a website;
- be aware of web security;
- be familiar with the Adobe pdf document format;
- understand issues around accessibility and the web.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 How to use this unit
- 1.1 Web browser basics
- 1.2 Looking at websites
- 1.3 Getting the most out of websites
- 1.4 Assessing the quality of websites
- 1.5 Safe surfing
- 1.6 Working with PDFs
- 1.7 Internet accessibility
- 1.8 Language settings
- 1.9 Some useful tips and tricks
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
This unit provides information and advice on how to make effective use of the Internet, covering the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Subjects covered in this unit include web browsers, the main features of a browser window, looking at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the Internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs. At the end of the unit there is a section containing some useful tips and tricks.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.