from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Is there a problem with OpenLearn? OpenLearn status updatesWe hope OpenLearn works normally, around the clock, through the year. If we know something's... Read more: Is there a problem with OpenLearn? OpenLearn status updates
An introduction to Open Educational Resources (OER)In this free course, An introduction to Open Educational Resources (OER), you will look at some... Try: An introduction to Open Educational Resources (OER) now
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet,...
Frightened of the internet? This unit will help you make effective use of the internet, giving you the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Useful tricks and tips are provided as well as information on web browsers, the main features of a browser window, how to look at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs.
After studying this you should:
- understand the buttons on the standard web browser toolbar;
- be able to search the web using a search engine;
- understand how to gauge the reliability of a website;
- be aware of web security;
- be familiar with the Adobe pdf document format;
- understand issues around accessibility and the web.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 How to use this unit
- 1.1 Web browser basics
- 1.2 Looking at websites
- 1.3 Getting the most out of websites
- 1.4 Assessing the quality of websites
- 1.5 Safe surfing
- 1.6 Working with PDFs
- 1.7 Internet accessibility
- 1.8 Language settings
- 1.9 Some useful tips and tricks
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn, track your progress and on completion gain a statement of participation to demonstrate your learning to others. Make your learning visible!
This unit provides information and advice on how to make effective use of the Internet, covering the basic skills required for using web-based resources. Subjects covered in this unit include web browsers, the main features of a browser window, looking at websites, using hyperlinks, searching for information on the Internet, copying text, avoiding computer viruses, and using PDFs. At the end of the unit there is a section containing some useful tips and tricks.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Friday, 15th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.