My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Already Registered?Sign in
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Design and designing
- 1.1 Design
- 1.2 Problems and solutions
- 1.3 What is good design and good designing?
- 1.4 Designing as model-making and model-using
- 1.5 Design and needs
- 1.6 Designing as heuristic problem-solving
- 1.7 Design as finding a good problem – solution pair
- 1.8 Design, creativity, invention and innovation
- 1.9 Design is …
- 2 Design and innovation 1: the plastic kettle
- 3 Models of the design process
- 4 Conceptual design
- 5 Concept to prototype
- 6 Design and innovation 3: the Brompton folding bicycle
- 7 Conclusions
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
About this free course
28 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Design & Innovation courses or view the range of currently available OU Design & Innovation courses.
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has over 40 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.