My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Already Registered?Sign in
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Why understanding technology evaluation matters
- 3 Unpacking evaluation
- 4 The functions of evaluation
- 4.1 Technology assessment
- 4.1.1 The relationship between the macro, meso and micro
- 4.1.2 A brief history of macro and meso technology assessment
- 4.1.3 Contemporary macro and meso technology assessment
- 4.1.4 National and cultural variations in assessment (and evaluation)
- 4.1.5 The globalisation of cultural images and views of technology
- 4.1.6 Undertaking contemporary technology assessment
- 4.1.7 Micro-level technology assessment
- 4.1.8 Technology assessment: issues and illusions
- 4.2 Technology evaluation
- 4.3 Recognising the complexity of evaluation
- 4.4 Beyond the formative–summative divide
- 4.5 Evaluation and knowledge generation for conceptual use
- 4.6 Summarising the distinction between the forms and purposes of evaluation
- 4.7 The characteristics of ‘effective practical evaluation’
- 5 Defining benefits and costs
- Keep on learning
- Current section: References
About this free course
20 hours study
Level 3: Advanced
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Engineering & Technology courses or view the range of currently available OU Engineering & Technology courses.
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has over 40 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.