- Learning outcomes
- 1 Rounding
- 1.1 Rounding in daily life
- 1.2 Rounding whole numbers
- 1.3 Rounding in general
- 1.4 Rounding decimals
- 1.5 Significant figures
- 1.6 Significant figures for numbers less than one
- 2 Estimation
- 3 Checking your answers
- 3.1 Have I done the right calculation?
- 3.2 Have I used the correct order for my calculation?
- 3.3 Have I given due consideration to units of measurement?
- 3.4 Did I make a rough estimate to act as a check?
- 3.5 Does the answer make sense in the real world?
- 3.6 Additional practice
- 4 OpenMark quiz
- Current section: Conclusion
- Keep on learning
Download this course
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
Rounding and estimation
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Mathematics & Statistics courses or view the range of currently available OU Mathematics & Statistics courses.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
OpenLearn has over 800 free courses across all our subjects designed by our academic experts. From 1 to 100 hours, introductory to advanced, you can start learning at any time and all for free.
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.