from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
The Met: Policing London: Episode FiveFriday, 31st July 2015 00:50 - BBC TwoIn the final episode of OU/BBC's The Met a new recruit learns his way around the London streets and Homicide... Read more: The Met: Policing London: Episode Five
Life: PrimatesFriday, 31st July 2015 11:00 - Eden
A History of Ideas: Writer Lisa Appignanesi on the Love of ChildrenFriday, 31st July 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
Life: PrimatesFriday, 31st July 2015 17:00 - Eden
The Met: Policing London: Episode FiveAvailable until Friday, 7th August 2015 01:50In the final episode of OU/BBC's The Met a new recruit learns his way around the London streets and Homicide... Read more: The Met: Policing London: Episode Five
A History of Ideas: Theologian Giles Fraser on AltruismAvailable until Wednesday, 27th July 2016 00:00
Great Ormond Street Hospital: Fix my genesAvailable until Friday, 28th August 2015 02:45
The Bank: LendingAvailable until Thursday, 27th August 2015 03:00
Can we find the rest of MH370?It looks as if part of MH370, the lost Malaysian Airlines jet, has been found. Will this help us... Read more: Can we find the rest of MH370?
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Beginners’ Italian: food and drinkThis free course, Beginners’ Italian: food and drink, focuses on buying drinks and snacks in an... Try: Beginners’ Italian: food and drink now
English: skills for learningThis course is for anybody who is thinking of studying for a university degree and would like to... Try: English: skills for learning now
Exploring data: Graphs and numerical summaries
This Unit will introduce you to a number of ways of representing data graphically and...
This Unit will introduce you to a number of ways of representing data graphically and of summarising data numerically. You will learn the uses for pie charts, bar charts, histograms and scatterplots. You will also be introduced to various ways of summarising data and methods for assessing location and dispersion.
Studying this unit will help you work towards the following learning outcomes:
- Know and be able to use standard symbols and notation: for the pth value in a data set when the values are written in order, the sample lower and upper quartiles and the sample median, the sample mean and the standard deviation.
- Be aware that data can have a pattern which may be represented graphically.
- Be aware that the standard deviation and the interquartile range are measures of the dispersion in a data set.
- Be aware that the median and the interquartile range are more resistant measures than are the
mean and the standard deviation.
- Acquire the skill of gaining an overall 'feel' for data and the way they are distributed by constructing appropriate graphical displays.
- Acquire the skill of describing data sets on the basis of graphical displays and numerical summaries.
- Acquire the skill of calculating summary measures such as the median, the upper and lower quartiles, the mean, the standard deviation and the variance, using a calculator.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 0 Introducing data
- 1.1 Data and questions
- 2.3 Pie charts and bar charts
- 2.3.1 Introduction
- 1.3.2: Pie charts: surgical removal of tattoos
- 1.2.3 Pie charts: Nuclear power stations
- 1.2.4 Bar charts: nuclear power stations
- 1.2.5 Bar charts: Surgical removal of tattoos
- 1.2.6 Problems with graphics
- 1.2.7 Problems with graphics: USA workforce
- 1.2.8 Problems with graphics: nuclear power stations
- 1.2.9 Pie charts and bar charts: summary
- 3 Histograms and scatterplots
- 4: Numerical summaries
- 1.4.1 Introduction
- 1.4.2 Measures of location
- 4.3: The median
- 1.4.6: Measures of dispersion
- 4.7: Quartiles and the interquartile range
- 1.4.8 The standard deviation
- 1.4.9 Sample variance
- 1.4.10 A note on accuracy
- 4.11: Symmetry and skewness
- 4.12: Numerical summaries: summary
- 5: Summary
Study this free course
Enrol to access the full course, get recognition for the skills you learn and track your progress. Make your learning visible!
Exploring data: graphs and numerical summaries
This unit will introduce you to a number of ways of representing data graphically and of summarising data numerically. You will learn the uses for pie charts, bar charts, histograms and scatterplots. You will also be introduced to various ways of summarising data and methods for assessing location and dispersion.
This free course is an adapted extract from the Open University course M248
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 27th July 2011
- Creative-Commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence. However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions. Full details can be found in the Acknowledgements section.
- This site has Copy Reuse Tracking enabled - see our FAQs for more information.
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.