- Learning outcomes
- 1 Polymer materials
- 2 Molecular engineering
- 2.1 Understanding the polymer state
- 2.2 Chain repeat units
- 2.3 Chain configuration
- 2.4 Chain conformations
- 2.5 Structure-property relationships
- 2.6 Molecular mass distribution
- 2.7 Commercial polymers
- 3 Manufacture of monomers
- 4 Polymerization
- 4.1 Understanding the polymerization process
- 4.2 Chain and step growth
- Current section: 4.3 Chain growth polymerization
- 4.4 Step growth polymerization
- 4.5 Copolymerization
- 4.6 Polymer grades
- 5 Physical properties of polymers
- 5.1 The behaviour of polymers
- 5.2 Viscoelasticity of polymers
- 5.3 Viscoelasticity and master curves
- 5.4 Dynamic mechanical properties
- 5.5 Orientation in polymers
- 5.6 Crystallisation of polymers
- 6 Design in polymers
- Keep on learning
Download this course
Create your free OpenLearn profile
Anyone can learn for free on OpenLearn, but signing-up will give you access to your personal learning profile and record of achievements that you earn while you study.
This free course is available to start right now. Review the full course description and key learning outcomes and create an account and enrol if you want a free statement of participation.
Introduction to polymers
This free course includes adapted extracts from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Chemistry courses or view the range of currently available OU Chemistry courses.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
OpenLearn has over 800 free courses across all our subjects designed by our academic experts. From 1 to 100 hours, introductory to advanced, you can start learning at any time and all for free.
OpenLearn Search website
OpenLearn works with other organisations by providing free courses and resources that support our mission of opening up educational opportunities to more people in more places.