from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Christopher Plummer on King LearTuesday, 28th April 2015 04:35 - Sky Arts 1Christopher Plummer retraces his steps in one of Shakeapeare’s greatest tragic roles - King Lear. Read more: My Shakespeare: Christopher Plummer on King Lear
Secret History Of... Deptford High StAvailable until Friday, 22nd May 2015 03:00How did the "Oxford Street of South London" come to be one of the poorest shopping streets in modern London? Read more: The Secret History Of Our Streets - Deptford High Street
Secret History Of... Deptford High StAvailable until Friday, 22nd May 2015 03:00
Thinking Allowed: The Ethnography Award 'Shortlist' 2015Available until Friday, 15th April 2016 10:30
A History of Ideas - Descartes Cogito Ergo SumAvailable until Thursday, 14th April 2016 08:30
OU on the BBC: Andrew Marr's History of the World - SurvivalAndrew Marr sets off on an epic journey through 70,000 years of human history, starting with our... Read more: OU on the BBC: Andrew Marr's History of the World - Survival
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Eating to win: Activity, diet and weight controlWhat should we eat before and after exercise? This free course, Eating to win: activity, diet and... Try: Eating to win: Activity, diet and weight control now
Succeed with maths – Part 1[BETA] If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
Health and safety in the laboratory and field
Health, safety and risk assessment are of paramount importance both in the laboratory...
Health, safety and risk assessment are of paramount importance both in the laboratory and the field. This unit will help make you more aware of the hazards and risks involved in laboratory and field-based research work, as well as giving you an overview of the legal requirements attached to this work. The unit discusses issues involved in the handling chemical and biological agents, basic safety procedures and common field-work hazards.
By the end of this unit you should be able to:
- understand the legal framework of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 and Regulations associated with it;
- understand the employers’, employees’ and visitors’ duties;
- evaluate hazards and risks in order to carry out a risk assessment;
- understand the legal requirement to report any accident or dangerous occurrence;
- develop risk assessments for scientific laboratories that use chemicals or biological organisms or both;
- develop risk assessments for field-work both in the UK and abroad;
- evaluate the requirements for first aid provision in an office, laboratory or for field-work.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 Overview
- 1 History of health and safety
- 2 Legal requirements of health and safety in the UK
- 3 Office safety
- 4 First aid and emergency procedures
- 5 General laboratory health and safety
- 6 Chemical health and safety
- 7 Hazards, risk and the process of risk assessment
- 8 Biological health and safety
- 9 Field-work health and safety, UK and abroad
- 10 Risk assessment exercise
Health and safety in the laboratory and field
This unit is designed to introduce you to the concepts of health and safety within a science laboratory or in the field. There are a number of legal requirements that must be adhered to before carrying out work in a laboratory. One of these is the necessity to carry out risk assessments on the chemical and biological agents that are to be used as part of your practical work activities. As part of this process you may be required to think about minimising exposure of yourself and colleagues to these chemical and biological agents. The following background and information is intended to make you more aware of health and safety aspects of your laboratory and field-based research work.
This study unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course STM895 Postgraduate research skills in science, technology, maths & computing, which is no longer taught by the University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Science course units or view the range of currently available OU Science courses.