- Current section: Learning outcomes
- 1 Telescopes
- 1.1 A milestone in the advancement of astronomy
- 1.2 Optical elements
- 1.3 Refracting telescopes
- 1.4 Reflecting telescopes
- 1.5 The characteristics of astronomical telescopes
- 1.6 Telescope mountings
- 1.7 Summary of Section 1 and questions
- 2 Spectographs
from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Telescopes and spectrographs
This unit looks at how telescopes and spectrographs are designed to improve our ability...
This unit looks at how telescopes and spectrographs are designed to improve our ability to observe the universe. You will examine how different technologies have been developed over the last four hundred years to enable us to look deep into space.
By the end of this unit you should be able to:
- understand the application of basic principles in geometrical optics;
- appreciate the phenomena relating to the wave nature of light.
This is an extract from an Open University course which is no longer available to new students. If you found this interesting you could explore more free Science course units or view the range of currently available OU Science courses.