from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
LifeTuesday, 3rd March 2015 09:00 - EdenDavid Attenborough's ten-part exploration of the enormous variety of life on planet Earth. Read more: OU on the BBC: Life
BBC Inside Science - Trends in forensicsAvailable until Tuesday, 24th March 2015 14:30BBC Inside Science asks where the future of forensics lies this week. Read more: OU on the BBC: BBC Inside Science - Trends in forensics
How Obamacare is reaching young invincibles through digital technologiesReaching the under-35s by using digital technologies is crucial to the success of the insurance... Read more: How Obamacare is reaching young invincibles through digital technologies
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Succeed with maths – Part 1 [TEST]DO NOT ATTEMPT TO COMPLETE THIS COURSE. IT IS ENTIRELY FOR OPENLEARN TESTING PURPOSES. Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 [TEST] now
Succeed with maths – Part 1[BETA] If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
This unit is intended to be of interest not only to people living in Scotland but to...
This unit is intended to be of interest not only to people living in Scotland but to anyone wishing to know more about Scottish society and culture. It brings together a collection of free educational resources relevant to Scotland. The resources within this unit cover a wide range of subject areas, including education, environment, technology, history, law, literature, politics, social care and social sciences.
By the end of this series of units you should:
- have a broader understanding of contemporary Scottish society;
- have a broader understanding of Scottish culture and identity;
- have an understanding of the various frameworks and standards of professional recognition in Scotland;
- be aware of the opportunities for further supported study in your chosen area.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 OpenLearn Scotland
- 1.1 Overview
- 1.2 Direct links to units within OpenLearn Scotland
- 2 Education in Scotland
- 3 The Scottish environment and technology
- 4 Great Scots
- 5 Scottish History
- 5.1 Overview
- 5.2 The origins of the wars of the three kingdoms
- 5.3 Heritage case studies: Scotland
- 5.4 Dundee, jute and empire
- 5.5 Science in the Scottish Enlightenment
- 5.6 The history of medicine: a Scottish perspective
- 5.7 Health, disease and society: Scottish influence in the 19th century
- 5.8 Finding information in art and history
- 6 Law in Scotland
- 7 Scottish Literature
- 8 Politics and society in Scotland
- 9 Social care in Scotland
- 10 Conclusion
This unit serves as a gateway to over 30 units that have been specifically developed to reflect the enormous interest in Scottish culture and society. The collection of units as a whole demonstrates The Open University's commitment to delivering a curriculum that is appropriate for the differing requirements of each of the countries within the United Kingdom.
These units have been collected and developed from across The Open University's catalogue, chosen because of their particular relevance to Scotland. They cover a wide range of subjects dealing with themes such as culture, society and professional development where specifications are sometimes different in Scotland.
The OpenLearn Scotland collection provides you with the opportunity to access free learning resources of particular relevance to Scotland. You may wish to study a single unit to further your interest in a particular topic or to use the learning experience as an opportunity to assess your level of academic ability prior to studying at university level. We hope that, whatever your reason for using OpenLearn, it will provide you with a taste for learning.
This unit is an adapted extract from the Open University Qualification.