from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Kim Cattrall on Antony & CleopatraTuesday, 31st March 2015 04:40 - Sky Arts 1 HDKim Cattrall revisits the role of the great Queen of Egypt in Shakespeare's Antony & Cleopatra. Read more: My Shakespeare: Kim Cattrall on Antony & Cleopatra
A History of Ideas - Aristotle on flourishingTuesday, 31st March 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
Kim Cattrall on Antony & CleopatraWednesday, 1st April 2015 07:00 - Sky Arts 1 HD
A History of Ideas - Max Weber and the Protestant EthicWednesday, 1st April 2015 12:04 - BBC Radio 4
A History of Ideas - How do I live a good life?Available until Wednesday, 30th March 2016 14:15Melvyn Bragg and his four guests delve deeper into the philosophy of how we live a good life. Read more: OU on the BBC: A History of Ideas - How do I live a good life?
Is there a problem with OpenLearn? OpenLearn status updatesWe hope OpenLearn works normally, around the clock, through the year. If we know something's... Read more: Is there a problem with OpenLearn? OpenLearn status updates
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
The business of footballWelcome to this free new OpenLearn course produced by The Open University working in partnership... Try: The business of football now
Succeed with maths – Part 1[BETA] If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
Company law in context
The legal issues involved in setting up and running a business can be complex and...
The legal issues involved in setting up and running a business can be complex and confusing, especially when some of the terms used don't seem to have clear meanings. This unit from the College of Law gives a basic introduction to the legal concepts of companies, partnerships, assets and liabilities.
After studying this unit you should be able to:
- Part A:
- describe in general terms what a business is;
- demonstrate an appreciation of the concept of capital.
- Part B:
- identify the main types of business medium;
- demonstrate an understanding of the key characteristics of businesses run as sole traders;
- demonstrate an understanding of the key characteristics of businesses run in partnership;
- identify in broad terms where the risks of business failure lie;
- determine what are the assets and liabilities of a business using numeracy skills.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 General introduction to company law and practice
- 2 Introductory concepts
- 3 Sole traders and partnerships as business mediums
- 3.1 Key themes and learning outcomes
- 3.2 Forms of business organisation, or ‘business mediums’
- 3.3 Sole traders
- 3.4 Partnership
- 3.5 Review of learning outcomes
- 4 Reflection on this unit
Company law in context
In this unit, we will consider the nature of businesses and the principal forms of business organisation. The themes covered in Part A are company, business and capital; and in Part B, business mediums, sole traders, partnerships or firms, and assets and liabilities.
This study unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course W223 Company law and practice, which is no longer taught by the University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.