from The Open University
Alternatively you can skip the navigation by pressing 'Enter'.
Wastemen: One Man's Rubbish...Tuesday, 5th May 2015 21:00 - BBC Two England, Wales & Northern IrelandThe value of waste has never been higher - but it's not just financial value; the Wastemen are aware of the emotional... Read more: Wastemen: One Man's Rubbish, One Man's Treasure
Wastemen: One Man's Rubbish...Wednesday, 6th May 2015 00:00 - BBC Two Scotland
Wartime Farm Episode 3Wednesday, 6th May 2015 11:00 - Yesterday
Thinking Allowed: Gentrification and division of domestic labourWednesday, 6th May 2015 16:00 - BBC Radio 4
Wastemen: The Home FrontAvailable until Thursday, 4th June 2015 00:15In the first of the series, Christmas is coming. And the most magical time of the year brings with it enormous... Read more: Wastemen: The Home Front
International Year of Light - Translation ProjectBe part of an international project to get our International Year of Light animation translated... Read more: International Year of Light - Translation Project
Take the photographic memory testCan you capture scenes just by looking at them? Find out with our photographic memory test. Launch now: Take the photographic memory test
Facilitating learning in practice[BETA ] Are you interested in mentorship or looking to develop your mentorship skills? In... Try: Facilitating learning in practice now
Succeed with maths – Part 1[BETA] If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this short 8-week course... Try: Succeed with maths – Part 1 now
Company law in context
The legal issues involved in setting up and running a business can be complex and...
The legal issues involved in setting up and running a business can be complex and confusing, especially when some of the terms used don't seem to have clear meanings. This unit from the College of Law gives a basic introduction to the legal concepts of companies, partnerships, assets and liabilities.
After studying this unit you should be able to:
- Part A:
- describe in general terms what a business is;
- demonstrate an appreciation of the concept of capital.
- Part B:
- identify the main types of business medium;
- demonstrate an understanding of the key characteristics of businesses run as sole traders;
- demonstrate an understanding of the key characteristics of businesses run in partnership;
- identify in broad terms where the risks of business failure lie;
- determine what are the assets and liabilities of a business using numeracy skills.
- Current section: Introduction
- Learning outcomes
- 1 General introduction to company law and practice
- 2 Introductory concepts
- 3 Sole traders and partnerships as business mediums
- 3.1 Key themes and learning outcomes
- 3.2 Forms of business organisation, or ‘business mediums’
- 3.3 Sole traders
- 3.4 Partnership
- 3.5 Review of learning outcomes
- 4 Reflection on this unit
Company law in context
In this unit, we will consider the nature of businesses and the principal forms of business organisation. The themes covered in Part A are company, business and capital; and in Part B, business mediums, sole traders, partnerships or firms, and assets and liabilities.
This study unit is an adapted extract from the Open University course W223 Company law and practice, which is no longer taught by the University. If you want to study formally with us, you may wish to explore other courses we offer in this.