OU on the BBC: Thinking Allowed - A crisis of waste
Household refuse is the focus of this week's Thinking Allowed. Find out...
Household refuse is the focus of this week's Thinking Allowed. Find out more then read an exclusive article on the subject from The Open University's Wendy Maples
- Duration: 5 mins
- Published on: Wednesday 11th April 2012
- Introductory Level
- Posted under: Radio
What hidden motives lurk behind our relationship with waste? Martin O'Brien, author of A Crisis of Waste? and Jeff Ferrell, author of Empire of Scrounge, visit the Thinking Allowed studios to sift through the competing ways of understanding refuse. Also, Carol Smart from Manchester University talks about a new study which finds that love is more important than money for same sex couples seeking to tie the knot.
Did you know it's estimated nearly 30 per cent of the food Britons buy is wasted? The Open University's Wendy Maples explores this and a new approach called ‘Freeganism’, an attempt to redress food wastefulness. Read the article by following the links below then share your views using our comments facility.
Thinking Allowed is on BBC Radio 4 on Wednesdays at 4.00pm and repeated on Monday mornings at 12.15am. Full transmission details, and listen again links, can be found on bbc.co.uk.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Wednesday, 11th April 2012
Last updated on: Wednesday, 11th April 2012
- Body text - Creative-Commons: The Open University
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Subscribe to our 'OU on the BBC: Thinking Allowed - A crisis of waste ' When and Where feed
- Subscribe to our 'Open University broadcasting schedule' feed
- Subscribe to our 'What's On' feed
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Radio
- Latest pages tagged Love
- Latest pages tagged BBC Radio 4
- Latest pages tagged Thinking Allowed
- Latest pages tagged Civil Partnerships
- Latest pages tagged Waste
- Latest comments on this page