OU on the BBC: The Bottom Line - A revolutionary gamble
This week, we hear from three people in the avant garde of the global gambling industry, which is said to be worth $417 billion. With smartphone and tablet technology driving a revolution in the way that people gamble, will old-fashioned betting shops and bingo halls survive? And can gambling companies really keep expanding despite recession, competition from the black market and prohibition in emerging economies?
In the studio this week are:
- Norbert Teufelberger, CEO of the online gaming company bwin.party
- Melissa Blau, Director of the consultancy iGaming Capital
- Juergen Reutter, Director of Mobile at the bookmaker William Hill.
This edition of The Bottom Line is first broadcast on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday 31st January 2013 at 8.30pm. Versions will also be broadcast on BBC World Service, BBC World and BBC News Channel. To find out more, or to listen online where available, pelase visit bbc.co.uk.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 31st January 2013
Last updated on: Thursday, 31st January 2013
- Body text - Creative-Commons: The Open University
- Image 'Bingo cards in various colors close-up' - Copyright: Floriano27 | Dreamstime.com
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Subscribe to our 'OU on the BBC: The Bottom Line - A revolutionary gamble' When and Where feed
- Subscribe to our 'Open University broadcasting schedule' feed
- Subscribe to our 'What's On' feed
- Latest pages by The OpenLearn team
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - Radio
- Latest pages tagged Recession
- Latest pages tagged Competition
- Latest pages tagged Gambling
- Latest pages tagged Betting
- Latest pages tagged BBC Radio 4
- Latest pages tagged The Bottom Line
- Latest pages tagged Prohibition
- Latest comments on this page