OU on the BBC: Child of Our Time 2013: Growing Up
The first episode of 2013 follows several of the children preparing to...
The first episode of 2013 follows several of the children preparing to become teenagers and sees how parents and grandparents cope.
- Duration: 5 mins
- Published on: Wednesday 27th February 2013
- Introductory Level
- Posted under: TV
In this first programme for Child of Our Time 2013, we follow several of our children preparing to become teenagers and see how their parents and grandparents will cope.
Having followed our children from tiny babies through to pre-teen tearaways, viewers will now get to hear them articulate their feelings about life more eloquently.
We discover how they have coped with bullying, with having a famous mum or with learning to live with money worries.
The children’s bodies and brains are changing and their interviews are illustrated with not only their lives today but our rich archive, giving us a unique view into the past.
All our families take part in both programmes but this one predominantly features:
- Helena, the only survivor of triplets born extremely prematurely
- Parys, whose mum Alison Lapper is a famous artist
- Forthright Yorkshire girl Rhianna
- Technology loving Taliesin
- Het from Wembley in London who has big ambitions
- Farm girl Megan
- Matthew from Surrey whose family are preparing for a great change in their lives
- Scottish twins Alex & Ivo
- Sports-mad William from Settle
The programme looks at how these children are growing up and brings the stories right up to date, as the children reach their thirteenth birthday.
Exploring the last 12-18 months, we re-enter our families’ lives at a time of significant change, having recently left the familiarity and safety of junior school and into the new environment of secondary school.
How has each child adapted and coped with this enormous transition?
We’ll also witness some challenging physiological and biological changes, as they become teenagers. From mood swings and bullying, to body image issues, and fitting in.
Watch Child of Our Time on the BBC
You can watch this episode of Child of Our Time on Wednesday 27th February at 9pm on BBC One. Further broadcast information, as well as iPlayer links when available, can be found on the BBC's Child of Our Time pages.
Copyright & revisions
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Subscribe to our 'OU on the BBC: Child of Our Time 2013: Growing Up' When and Where feed
- Subscribe to our 'Open University broadcasting schedule' feed
- Subscribe to our 'What's On' feed
- Latest pages by The OpenLearn team
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - TV
- Latest pages tagged BBC One
- Latest pages tagged Child Of Our Time
- Latest comments on this page