OU on the BBC: Secrets Of Our Living Planet
In this series from the BBC and The Open University, naturalist Chris Packham reveals the natural world in a way that you’ve never seen it before.
For him, what is really beautiful about nature, is not the amazing animals and plants that we share the planet with - but the hidden relationships between them. These relationships may sound bizarre but without them, no life would be possible.
- Why a crab in the swamps of Bangladesh needs a tiger
- Why the mighty Brazil nut tree needs a rare orchid and a small rodent
- Why a small gecko in Kenya needs a giraffe
- Why the North American lynx needs a tiny moth caterpillar
In this, his first truly global series, Chris will travel to some of the planet’s most awe-inspiring ecosystems, in order to reveal the real beauty of nature.
The last episode of the series, Waterworlds, wasn't shown on Sunday 8th July due to Wimbledon. It can now be seen on BBC Two and BBC HD on Tuesday, 17th July at 8.00pm.
You can watch Secrets Of Our Living Planet on BBC Two and BBC HD, starting Sunday 17 June at 8pm. The entire series is being shown nightly on BBC HD Channel at 7pm from Monday, July 9th 2012. For further broadcast details, and watch online where available, please visit bbc.co.uk.
Read more about each episode
In the United Kingdom there are also many fascinating examples of unexpected and intriguing links between animals and plants. Below you can explore four different habitats, brought to you by our expert academic team and iSpot, a website where you can learn more about species and share your discoveries.
Copyright & revisions
Originally published: Thursday, 29th March 2012
Last updated on: Monday, 11th June 2012
- Body text - Creative-Commons: The Open University
- Image '' - Copyright: BBC
If you enjoyed this, why not follow a feed to find out when we have new things like it? Choose an RSS feed from the list below. (Don't know what to do with RSS feeds?)
Remember, you can also make your own, personal feed by combining tags from around OpenLearn.
- Latest OpenLearn pages
- Subscribe to our 'OU on the BBC: Secrets Of Our Living Planet' When and Where feed
- Subscribe to our 'Open University broadcasting schedule' feed
- Subscribe to our 'What's On' feed
- Latest pages by The OpenLearn team
- Latest pages from OpenLearn - TV
- Latest pages tagged Secrets Of Our Living Planet
- Latest pages tagged How
- Latest pages tagged Chris Packham
- Latest pages tagged BBC Two
- Latest comments on this page