My OpenLearn Profile
- Personalise your OpenLearn profile
- Save your favourite content
- Get recognition for your learning
Multidisciplinary study: the value and benefits
This free course, Multidisciplinary study: the values and benefits, explores the advantages of studying more than one subject and will help you to decide if multidisciplinary study is for you. Featuring videos with students on the Open University’s ‘Open’ qualifications, you will learn about the unique skills you can gain from studying a multi-subject qualification and how it can benefit your career prospects.
The Open University would really appreciate a few minutes of your time to tell us about yourself and your expectations for the course before you begin, in our optional start-of-course survey342. Once you complete the course we would also value your feedback and suggestions for future improvement, in our optional end-of-course survey343. Participation will be completely confidential and we will not pass on your details to others.
Course learning outcomes
After studying this course, you should be able to:
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- identify and explain the difference between multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary study
- recognise the benefits of applying different subject approaches or views to different contexts
- explain the skills gained from studying multi-subject qualifications to employers
- recognise the concept of ‘multipotentiality’ and reflect on how it might apply to you
- identify potential career pathways from studying a multi-subject qualification.
Earn this free Open University digital badge if you complete this course! The badge can be displayed, shared and downloaded as a marker of your achievement. The badge is awarded for completing the course and passing the quizzes.
You can start this course right now without signing-up. Click on any of the course content sections below to start at any point in this course.
If you want to be able to track your progress, earn a free Statement of Participation, and access all course quizzes and activities, sign-up.
- Learning outcomes
- How to get your badge
- 1 Definitions
- 2 Which definition should I use?
- 3 The evolution of interdisciplinary approaches
- 4 Why study multiple subjects?
- 5 The benefits of studying a multidisciplinary qualification
- 6 Skills developed through multidisciplinary study
- 7 Introducing ‘multipotentiality’
- 8 Choosing which subjects to study
- 9 What are my career options with a multidisciplinary qualification?
- 10 End-of-course quiz
- 11 Conclusion
- Tell us what you think
Create an account to get more
Track your progress
Review and track your learning through your OpenLearn Profile.
Statement of participation
On completetion of a course you will earn a Statement of participation.
Access all course activities
Take course quizzes and access all learning.
Review the course
When you have finished a course leave a review and tell others what you think.
Creative commons: The Open University is proud to release this free course under a Creative Commons licence.
However, any third-party materials featured within it are used with permission and are not ours to give away. These materials are not subject to the Creative Commons licence. See terms and conditions and our FAQs.
Full copyright details can be found in the Acknowledgements section of each week.
For further information, take a look at our frequently asked questions which may give you the support you need.Have a question?
Making the decision to study can be a big step, which is why you'll want a trusted University. The Open University has 50 years’ experience delivering flexible learning and 170,000 students are studying with us right now. Take a look at all Open University courses.
Every year, thousands of students decide to study with The Open University. With over 120 qualifications, we’ve got the right course for you.
About this free course
5 hours study
Level 1: Introductory
Download this course
Free statement of participation on completion of these courses.
Earn a free Open University digital badge if you complete this course, to display and share your achievement.